Caution: Moshi Clearguard does NOT fit unibody macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uicandrew, Feb 10, 2009.

1. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

although I was previously espousing the clearguard's greatness, I feel that I have to call them out on this.

The Moshi Clearguard does not fit the unibody macbook perfectly. It was designed to work with the old macbooks, whose function keys are larger than the unibody's. As a result, the top edge of the product juts out from the recessed area for the keyboard.

The pictures on their website only show the bottom half of the keyboard, and only show it on a macbook.

They say it "fit perfectly" but it does not.

I contacted their customer support and they confirm that it was it was designed to also fit the original macbook, so that's why the function keys part doesn't fit perfectly.

2. isaki87 macrumors regular

Did they say anything about correcting the problem?

3. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

I believe they kind of made the design so that it fits both. I'm happily typing away on my CG on my unibody Pro right now.

4. uicandrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

well, that's what I said in the last sentence of my first post.

as for correcting it, they have offered me a refund.

I just feel upset because they are misleading. They claim 100% fit, which they know for sure isn't true for the unibody, the model that they show in all their pictures.

5. iaymnu macrumors 6502

It doesnt fly off when I type. Given that the top part isn't fitting but it does feel way better than the KB cover I have for my macbook. I definitely like it on my Uni MBP

6. isaki87 macrumors regular

Mine moves around a lot, I ended up taking it off after a few hours of typing with it. I find it very cumbersome.

7. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

This is kind of annoying to hear. I have one of these on the way and all the reviews and comments i'd heard so far said it was nearly invisible and fit well. I hope this is actually the case

8. iaymnu macrumors 6502

Really? I tried just mashing random keys and it isn't moving around. How long have you had yours? I got mine like almost 2 months ago. It is annoying when your fingers are wet and or sweaty, then it sorta lifts up the cover. But it is still way better feeling than sweaty/wet silicon

9. isaki87 macrumors regular

I've had mine for about two to three weeks. I like how thin and clear it is, but I just wish mine was a little more form fitting to the keys, because every time I type a long sentence, the CG breaks my flow.

10. uicandrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

it IS nearly invisible and it only fits well for the majority of the keys, but the top row does not have a good fit.

The pictures are deceptive because it never shows the top row which doesn't fit that well. For most people, it might not make a difference because they don't use the function keys that often.

But when they advertise a 100% fit, then I expect a 100% fit, especially when they're catering DIRECTLY to "picky" customers. (the official website "http://www.aevoe.com/") says in the title, "for the discerning few."

I would expect this "misleading" advertising from a random ebay seller based in [insert random country], but not from a relatively well regarded company.

Do any of the clearguard owners have the same issue of the top edge sticking out? or is this an isolated incident?

11. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

Watch your mouth. Not every god damn bad thing in the world happens in China, sonny. I've have plenty of crap items and scams target me from right here in the USA. You're bordering on bigotry there.

12. crazyrog17 macrumors regular

^ :eek:

I was looking forward to getting one of these. Everything appeals to me except for the top row fit.

I'm going to try to ask about a possible redesign.

13. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Excuse me. What is that supposed to mean? :mad:

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I've purchased a few good things on eBay, shipped directly from China.

15. uicandrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow. I'm surprised my comments were seen as being close to "bigotry"

My point is, there are sellers (especially of cell phone and ipod accessories) on ebay who sell millions of small knickknacks that are shipped from/made in china. since the sellers (often with 100,000's of feedback) don't make the products, there is no "reputation" to stand behind. Those sellers often don't have any idea about their products they sell because they're just the middleman. If you ask those sellers more details on their ipod silicone case, they wouldn't be able to give it to you.

Conversely, Clearguard is a product made by a company (Moshi) who has to stand by their products. They don't have anyone to hide behind. They are their product.

I am not a bigot, and I have no motivation/need to prove otherwise.

but if you search through my myriad of posts, you'll see that I defend China and the need for their low-priced manufacturing capabilities.

My point is: I expect better from a well known company. They aren't some random mass importer of junk who have no knowledge about their products.

Mark2000, I have also sent you a pm.

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm not that angry, nor am I trying to get on your case, but couldn't you have said that about most regular seller on eBay, regardless of where they're from?

17. uicandrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I suppose I could. I am just speaking from personal experience, since I have bought MANY accessories from China. If it will make a difference, I will edit my "offending" post.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't even think it warrants an edit, to be honest (although some people may disagree). ;) It was probably enough for you to say that you're not racist, as it seems like just an off-the-cuff remark. I've made similar remarks about Nigeria, but then again, there really are scams that are regularly called "Nigerian scams" (probably not originating from Nigeria, mind you).

19. uicandrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

i was a "victim" of the $1500 macbook pro scandal that was based from AZ. (victim is in quotes only because I got all my money back, so nothing lost but time and effort)

i know scams have no borders.

well, others have gotten riled up about it already, and it unfortunately, distracts from a meaningful, non-repetitive thread (unlike those "which case for my macbook" threads.) my remark was just that, an off the cuff remark. My iphone, imac, and 3/4 of my things were likely made in China. all my 3rd party chargers/cables were probably made in china because I don't want to pay $80 for a Monster cable or $25 for a car charger from the verizon store.

I accept the fact that the items I have are inexpensive because they were made with inexpensive labor and don't have to have a markup to cover marketing/advertising or a physical brick&mortar presence. And I accept the fact that the tradeoff can be quality or customer service. Do I expect prime rib when I go to McD's for a 99 cent double cheeseburger? No.

regardless, Abstract, thank you for your support. I do appreciate that you're not trying to blow it out of proportion.

20. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

When you close your laptop with the clearguard still on, does it cause any problems or imprint on the glass screen of your unibody?

21. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Everywhere I read on this forum complimented the clearguard, but did acknowledge its a little big on top. I still ordered it anyways since its the best option till they are forced to update it due to public demand. We should all e-mail their customer support haha.

22. uicandrew thread starter macrumors 6502a

i don't notice a problem when closing the laptop, but i have recently seen the outline of my clearguard on my glass screen.

i have contacted them, and they said,

"There are many Apple resellers that are still selling the older (non-unibody) version of the MacBook 13. Once these are no longer being sold, we are going to update the ClearGuard to make it perfectly form-fitted to the unibody MacBook (i.e. no room on function / eject keys). At this time, there is no specific ETA for this to happen."

I will opt for my refund.

23. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Why cant they just make a unibody version. That way the non-unibody can still have theirs, and the unibody people are happy too. I don't see the point to wait other than the fact everyone who has a unibody who buys it now will just buy a unibody version one again later.

Its not like the old macbook users will need or buy this new version so they still would need the old ones for them.

24. Mark2000 macrumors regular

Mark2000

Refund heck. The site says its for the unibodies. I want it to fit now, not after my machine has a ton of crap under the keys. Class action, baby!

25. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

If we sue them for everything they got, then who is going to make our REAL unibody Moshi clearguards? :-(