Caution Noob with questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattyb240, May 11, 2008.

1. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Firstly Hi! My first post as I am wanting to take the leap of faith over to apple, but I have a few reserves! I am a lighting design student (stage & theatre) studying at University. I want to get the 17" Mac book pro 2.5ghz with 512mb 8600m gt graphics card.

The downfall comes when I say I will have to run windows under boot camp as some of my software is windows only based. I am sick of windows and want to get away from the vast array of error messages I receive once a month and want to go to a stable more user friendly interface.

My qualm is with the graphics card performance, my friend has just bought a Dell XPS M1710 with a 7950 GTX 512mb, it is an impressive machine but to "gamey looking". I want something with this kind of power but from what I have read the 8600 isn't up to this? Would the MBP be able to run 3D open GL simulation and have the rendering power as the 7950?

I also know Apple don't announce updates to early but i there likely to be an upgrade before September? Late September is my crunch time where I will have to buy a laptop. I would love to see a more powerful card!

Thanks in advance for help and advice!

2. heppy macrumors member

Hi and welcome,

Regarding a refresh to the MBP line, the rumour is that there's a new line to the range to be announced in June to coincide with a new chip from Intel so it may be worth waiting that extra month just in case.

3. MacBookProJoe macrumors regular

MacBookProJoe

While it's difficult to compare technologies, I dont think the 8600GT is all that much slower than the 7950. That said, Im waiting on the next geny MBP to see what video will be included.

4. mattyb240 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers guys, I will hold on! Just worries me and it is alot of money even with discount for me! So want to make sure I am getting the best for my cash! Does the 17" work well with the high resolution screen?

5. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

They usually have an Education promotion (for students and instructors) in the summer too. I bought my MacBook last summer and got a discount, a free iPod and a free printer.

Cheers.

6. mattyb240 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ooook that sounds kool! I will keep an eye out, I am really hoping they update the graphics card that will pretty much seal the deal for me! How does the present car handle with 3d software does anybody know or try this?

Thanks