Caution - watch out on the wet installs

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Timechaser, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Timechaser macrumors member

I purchased the screen saver by Best Skins Ever for my sons new Ipod touch 4 and went about installing it the same way I had installed Zaggs on the iPhone.

Well everything looked good the night I installed it but the next morning when my son turned it on their were a bunch of small grey spots all under the screen and the light behind the screen had a weird glow.

I'm sure it was caused by the excess moisture seeping in through the seems of the device. Now I don't know if the spots my have eventually went away but it looked so bad I just couldn't feel good about waiting to see.

I immediately scheduled an appointment with Apple and made sure to take the skin off before turning it over for their review. Luckily the genius at the Apple store had now idea what may have caused the problem and quickly exchanged it for a new one.

I don't think I did any thing wrong except for not realizing this new iPt4 is not constructed nearly as well as a iPhone or the previous iPt's. You can not use nearly as much liquid and you better be very quick absorbing the excess when you are pressing it out during the installation process.

It's a awesome device and a good step up from the previous generation but please use caution if you are trying to do a wet install of any type. It seems that if they are prone to light leaking out then surely moisture can easily leak in to these devices.

2. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

Which is why devices with light leaks should be exchanged.

3. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I use a dry install shield (power support) on the front and a wet install protector (best skins) on the back. I prefer the feel of the film type protectors on the front and I have always had it in the back of my mind that water leaking inside during the install could be a problem. Now, if you have to do a wet install on the screen of a device I keep a dry microfiber cloth handy to soak up the moisture as i squeegee the shield. As I squegee, I hold the cloth at the edge to catch any water that is being pushed out from under the shield.

4. Timechaser thread starter macrumors member

Good point tubemonkey, at that time I didn't know about the issues folks were having with light leakage so I had not considered the possibility of the liquid entering the iPt and doing damage.

It's not like I had soaked the screen, there were small droplets that were being pressed out from under the skin that made their way inside of this brand new $300 device.

I doubt that if the genius at the Apple store had known about the wet install or had enough experience to know what may have caused the spots that he would have exchanged it for us.

5. Pojo458 macrumors member

Pojo458

I don't trust those wet install protectors, there a 50 50 chance of screwing up your device which the company selling you the protection is not liable for. I like using the ones that just naturally go on the device and stick until you want it off, it simply peels off. I got a zagg screen guard for my new ipod touch and it almost screwed my ipods screen and the film was completely ruined, im getting a full refund from Best Buy

6. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

What the heck happened?

7. Bleak macrumors member

I don't even know why people buy Zagg shields... SGP and PS are much better, have no orange peel effect, and are installed nice and dry. I never trusted the wet installs and never will :\

8. franko v macrumors member

franko v

Why hasn't Power Support released new screen protectors for the iPod touch 4G yet?!

I read nothing but great reviews about their screen protectors - and they seem to be literally the last one to release them! At least, in this instance...
    :D

9. ToddJ macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Today I tried to do a dry install of a iPad film but got tons of bubbles and some dust too. Would it work if I try to get it wet first and try to put it on again?

10. Scott549 macrumors regular

I put a Best Skins Ever film on the front of my iPod Touch 4g. Initially I got the spots and the resolution on the screen looked terrible. I thought I was just going to have to remove it. But about 12 hours later it looked great and still does. The one problem I am having, that prevents me from being 100% satisfied with the product, is that I could not get all four corners of the screen protector to stay flat. I've got a plastic cover for the back with a lip that goes up to the outside border of the front of the screen, and it has caused the screen protector to bubble up on two of the corners.