Caution When Selling to NextWorth - Long

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puma1552, Sep 21, 2016.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

I always trade my phone in for ease and peace of mind. I've always sold stuff either here on the forums (always have happy buyers) or traded into Gazelle.

This year I sold my flawless 6 (and my wife's). Gazelle was doing $225, and NextWorth was doing $240, both with free shipping. I answered the questions on their questionnaire truthfully in order to arrive at a quote of $240 for each of our phones. My stuff is always, always flawless, because I'm super anal-retentive. Their short questionnaire is pretty standard - just asking about cracked screens, find my iPhone deactivated, etc. (note it looks like just in the last few days they've added a question about dents/scratches, but this was not present the other day when I assessed my trade value). Basically they just seem to care if the phone works, which is on par with most trade in places.

I figured I'd try NextWorth since they were paying more than Gazelle, and they were partnered with Swappa as their trade in company, and we all know Swappa is a forum darling. So I decided to give them a try this year.

Well, Gazelle sends you a box to send the stuff in, Nextworth doesn't. $15 later for a roll of tape, two boxes, and some bubble wrap at UPS, and the phones were in the mail, off to NextWorth. Pretty much a wash price-wise once you factor that in, oh well.

They received our phones last Thursday. I didn't hear anything until 9 PM Monday night, 4 days later, when I was told that my wife would be receiving $240, but that I would be receiving $120. They said the discrepancy was regarding the following question: "Powers on and fully functional (including buttons)?" where they said "No" to my "Yes" and they had a vague note from the inspector that said "WHITE SPOTS". I know for a fact there were no "WHITE SPOTS" on the display or the casing anywhere to be found.

So I emailed them back to inquire, because A) I *know* there were no defects, and B) None of their questions had anything to do with cosmetic condition beyond a cracked LCD. I told them that they would need to be able to present a picture of an obvious defect detrimental to the phone's functionality because the answer to the question regarding functionality was indeed yes, no matter what "WHITE SPOTS" there were. The phone powered on, the buttons worked, and there was no task that couldn't be completed with the phone - it works as Apple intended, so supposed white spots notwithstanding, the answer to that question was still yes, and I should receive the $240.

According to the criteria on their own questionnaire, I should receive $240.

To shorten things up, after some back and forth they said there was a white spot on the display (...), would send me a picture - but never did - and ultimately in the end agreed to pay me the $240, citing that they "didn't realize none of their questions were regarding the LCD condition."

So yes, they did the right thing in the end after some push on my end, but I don't believe for a second that they didn't know their own 5 question questionnaire, and were playing quality control police and were/are diminishing/rejecting trade values based on petty things or even non-issues, most importantly diminishing trade values for things that aren't on their own questionnaire that therefore should not be considered in the evaluation. Looking into this further, there are a LOT of reviews out there indicating that they diminished trade values due to yellow or pink tinted displays, among other things, which again are not on their questionnaire. Seems like a bit of a bait and switch.

Seller beware. I will be going back to using Gazelle in the future.

2. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

That sucks, but glad they eventually paid you the full amount. I used Nextworth last year for both my and my wife's phone and had no issues at all. I suppose these types of situations can probably occur with any of these companies that are processing thousands of traded in phones per day. I wouldn't be surprised if people had similar stories from using Gazelle and other sites.

3. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Lose so much resale value using those places

4. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Sent my iPhone 6s to nextworth and they received it today, and I'll be very interested if they try to pull up a bait and switch with me. If they try something like that I'll just ask for the phone back

5. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Sometimes, sometimes not. I got quotes from Nextworth for $390 for our 1 year old iPhone 6S phones. Yeah, I could get slightly more by selling it on my own, but there is risk involved in selling on eBay (lots of scammers claiming they never received the phone or that it was broken, etc.) and there are fees which cut into your profits as well. At the end of the day, I'm not sure that you come out that far ahead selling the phone on your own anymore - especially when there are thousands of other sellers you are competing with (driving the price down).

6. dwendz23 macrumors member

I sold my 6 for $280 on Craigslist this week. It wasn't in perfect condition either... a few scratches and nicks on the back.

7. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

My wife's 6 is packed away in a box on my counter waiting to go to Nextworth/Swappa.

Her phone is a little beat up (we've got a 2 year old), but it passed their questionnaire with flying colors (powers on, all buttons work, no liquid damage, etc.).

It's $233 for her 64GB 6, about $50 more than Gazelle was offering. Now I'm nervous. Sure hope this works...

8. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

I agree eBay is just full of scammers and their fees are ridiculous. I like many others I know stopped using them a while ago. Swaps is good since they charge a flat fee. But even then you use PayPal and there's where the scammers come in to play again. In the end I may loose out on money but I just trade my phones in now to Verizon or best buy for gift cards.

9. mazdamiata210 Suspended

I've sold countless phones on craigslist and ebay and I finally had enough with that. Last year I used Nextworth to trade in my 16gb 6+ for $400

I sent it and within a week I had my $400 without a problem. I know I could have sold it for a little more, but having to deal with people on craigslist who say they want it and then don't show up or scammers on ebay it's easier to take the $25-50 loss and be done with it.

10. Nanotyrns macrumors 6502a

Nanotyrns

I find I get my money quicker with Gazelle. The one time I did it with NextWorth it seemed to take 3 or 4 days longer. I guess it's a YMMV thing.