Cautionary Tale: Find My iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aygwm, Aug 31, 2010.

1. aygwm macrumors member

It was my nightmare scenario: on vacation, iPhone camera full of unforgettable, one of a kind photos, and then I lose my iPhone. No worries, I have Find My iPhone enabled. My girlfriend has an iPhone, so I thought I'd just fire up Safari, log into MobileMe and hope to find the phone. WRONG!
    Once I typed the URL in her phone, I immediately got a redirected webpage, asking if I'd like to try out MobileMe (my girlfriend can't afford the $99). Again and again I tried to get to the log in screen so I could access MY account and find my phone, but no, it's not possible. Okay, I have my iPad with me. Again, the same problem. I can't log in to use the Find My iPhone feature.
    So I was forced to drive 40 miles back to my hotel because luckily I also packed my MacBookPro. It had no problems logging in, and there was the blue light indicating the position of my iPhone. But now I had to drive 40 miles back to where it was. What if someone found it in the meantime? I wanted real time information of its' location, and since my MacBook is not tethered, I was screwed. (Upon coming home, I called Apple, and was told Find my iPhone only works on a computer. WTF? I can't imagine the iPhone is not capable of performing that function. Certainly there must be a back door URL that bypasses the screen I was seeing? But Apple's servers weren't playing ball, seeing my GF's phone and the iPad as mobile devices, thus serving up alternate webpages that were no use to me. How convenient is it to always find a computer to use this feature, especially when you're on the road? Any ideas how to prevent this in the future anyone?

Happy Ending: I went back to where my laptop said the phone was. By this time, it was raining. ****. The extra 90 minutes of drive time might have made all the difference. But there my phone was, in a small puddle face down. When I reached for it, I recoiled in horror, as there were clear tire markings visible on the rubber case. "It's toast," I thought. Amazingly, it powered up with no issues. There was not a scratch on it. A CAR HAD RUN OVER MY PHONE AND IT WASN'T EVEN DAMAGED!

So thanks Apple for building a sturdy phone. But please make Find My Iphone work on mobile devices.

2. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

No offense but you didn't look hard enough. There's an app called "Find my iPhone" in the App Store made by Apple and you can DL + install it on the iPhone/iPad of your choice and track your OTHER iPad/iPhone via the app..

FAIL on your part.

3. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

That's why Apple put out an app in the appstore for "find my iPhone."

4. aygwm thread starter macrumors member

"No offense but you're an idiot."

Guilty as charged. I am not aware of every app in the App store. Thanks for the kind and thoughtful advice.

5. Jare macrumors 65816

Jare

Actually I changed my post on re-read due to it being more harsher then I intended it.

:(

6. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

what URL did you type in? If you type is me.com it asks you to install FINDMYIPHONE

Its not that complicated...

7. aohus macrumors 68000

dont get hard on yourself. this is a common issue for many apple users.

8. aygwm thread starter macrumors member

what URL did you type in? If you type is me.com it asks you to install FINDMYIPHONE

Its not that complicated...

Me.com. From my GF's phone, I was redirected to a sign up screen for MobileMe. I was not given an option to install Find My iPhone. Obviously I would have done this if given the option. When I called Apple today, the operator never mentioned this App, and specifically said the feature had to be done on a computer. I follow all things Apple pretty closely, and never knew about this app. My point in posting was to educate myself, as well as others. Yes, obviously a Fail on my part, but jeez. I remember when the Mac community provided information, not shame to those who didn't have all the answers.

9. thetexan macrumors 6502a

Don't be too hard on yourself, this site has become the 4chan of Apple information.

10. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I believe me.com works on the iPhone using atomic browser.

11. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

12. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

So the lesson here is to actually read those emails Apple sends out to MobileMe customers letting them know about new things, like the Find my iPhone iOS app for iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. If this was posted a year ago, it would have been much different, but since Apple actually listened to people and made an iOS app, it is your own fault if you don't know about the app. They have sent out an email, the app has been posted about on many websites, and I think it's even featured on the MobileMe site.

At least the story had a happy ending.

13. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

You should have used Google Maps Street View and scrolled around till you spotted it.

14. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

There's an app for that!

It's called Find My iPhone.

15. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

There's something fishy about this story. How could you go to me.com on iDevice and not see this???

Attached Files:

16. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

That is exactly what I was thinking! I hadn't checked it myself but it seemed kind of silly if Apple didn't have a page like that up.

17. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Find my phone is .99 in the Android app store. You just send it the text "find me" and it replies with a GPS location and Google Maps is free.

$99 for Mobile me for it to work for iPhone? :eek:

18. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

Considering me.com loads up a page directing you to install the "Find my iPhone" app on both the iPhone and iPad, you frankly apparently just let your anger or whatever gloss over your common sense. me.com, as on the desktop, has never worked on iOS devices.

19. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

20. shandyman Suspended

you're not paying $99 just for find my iphone tho, it's for all the other stuff too...

21. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Of course you said it was in a puddle.... good thing that puddle didn't ruin your phone. :rolleyes:
    Guess sitting in a puddle for 90minues didn't ruin your i.... luckiest person in the world.
    Cough bullpoo cough.

22. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

you can get find my iPhone for free without a mobile me subscription as long as you don't mind re signing up for the free trial every two months

23. rdstoll macrumors 6502

For what it's worth my wife lost her iPad and I was using my iPad to track it down. Like you, I was not aware of the Find my iPhone app that I could have downloaded, but I have Atomic Browser on my iPad and I'm able to adjust which browser it announces itself as when I browse to websites. I could not get to Find my Iphone on Mobileme using the Safari browser on my iPad but when I set the Atomic Browser to spoof itself as regular Safari 4, it worked just fine.

24. bushbaby macrumors 6502a

bushbaby

If it still worked after sitting face down in a puddle in the rain, (and being driven over0 you must have had a good case it - Otterbox? Was this the iPhone 4?