Caved and purchased a 27" i7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Big Dave, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Big Dave macrumors 6502

I couldn't wait any longer. Got the 27" 3.4 i7 and bumped the video card to 2gb. With the education discount and the $100 iTunes promotion, I feel pretty good about it. I'm going to sell my early 2008 24" so that will offset the pain even more. I'm sure I will enjoy this machine.

2. imwest macrumors newbie

3. eyebex macrumors member

Hope you enjoy it.

I'll continue to hold out until a refresh or, until I absolutely need a new computer at which point I'll buy a Windows machine.

4. Fifteen20s macrumors regular

Same here 27in i7 refurb

Refresh or not, coming from a 6yo windows box it's still a huge upgrade. The operating system is my perceived upgrade.

Buy your toy and be happy, I am

5. jakeruston macrumors regular

I did exactly the same. I was fed up of waiting and realised that when the iMac is updated it'll only be a minor update anyway (maybe not until 2013 judging by the latest MR post!)

6. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

7. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

I think I'm going to do the same, except that I'd get an i5. No point overspending on something I'll probably only have for a year until the Mac Pro does get a refresh.

8. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I'm sure you'll be pleased with your new purchase.

I got a 27" i5 in January and it's been fantastic.

A lot of cranky mac users out there today. I understand being disappointed that you didn't see an announcement of an update today - but saying you're going to switch to a PC is a bit extreme. What about all the Mac software you have? You're going to go out and buy thousands in software again just because you didn't get what you want today?

9. Geolink macrumors member

Yeah I need to get off this site awhile LOL... Lots of opinions clouding my own.

----------

I might do the same to be honest. I'm still on my almost 6 year old Windows build that I did, any new computer that I buy now will be an obvious upgrade.

10. mikdog macrumors member

11. Overg macrumors 6502

As someone sai in different thread, paying premium money for old technology is simply not fair from apple side.
    While I am sure that the i7 you bought is very good. I simply can't give apple full price for 1 year old technology.
    Also iMac isn't iPad you don't upgrade every year or so, so buying iMac without USB 3 in 2012 is mistake. As in two years from now it will all be USB 3, and you will get stuck with USB 2 in your premium priced Mac.
    I would wait for the small speed bump.if that doesn't happen I would buy mbp, or wait a year.
    In any case giving apple full money for old technology is something I can't do.

12. necromorph macrumors regular

necromorph

No it's not extreme! It's a protest aimed at those idiots sitting on their fat arses at apple HQ :mad:

----------

Totally agree with your post, paying top pounds for 2011 technology is something i can't do.

Good luck to those that can.

13. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

You would only be punishing yourself by switching OS platforms just because an update wasn't announced today. You're going to go out and buy all new software for the PC, change your workflow, network setup, and backup strategy just to protest Apple not releasing new iMac hardware today?

Unless all you do on your iMac is check your e-mail and surf the internet, changing OS platforms is going to be a big investment in terms of both time and money.

Today wasn't the only day all year Apple could announce a new iMac. The iMac will be updated, just not today.

You can certainly switch to a PC if you want - no one's stopping you - but it still seems to me as rather drastic.

14. leman macrumors 604

I just sold mine, so I will probably be getting a hackintosh or something :/

15. necromorph macrumors regular

necromorph

Same here.

*Sticks two fingers up at apple* :mad:

16. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

True, I think we might still see a bump in specs later this year...Maybe around IOS6 time, but I wasn't in the market for a new iMac anyway...Was thinking about a Pro, but that as we know, is not a sensible purchase now.

OP: You will be happy with your newbie...Similar specs to my own..It flies through everything I throw at it!..ENjoy your new Mac:)

Attached Files:

17. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

He does not use osx now, so you're wasting your time. He's planning to be an apps developer and make millions.

18. necromorph macrumors regular

necromorph

Macman i'll increase my offer to £500 cash but not a penny more ;)

19. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

:D...Keep on doubling it, and we might get there...:D Seriously though, what would the point be in selling mine now? No Pro option that makes sense, and no substantial iMac refresh either...This is pretty much top of the tree...Coupled with my new Pegasus R4 it's a workhorse and a half. Give me one good reason for selling:D

20. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

I'm going to do the same thing, as soon as I get around to it. Work and my kids just keep getting in the way.

21. New Apple macrumors regular

22. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

I caved too. This wait is crazy, plus current machines are great. You can never win the "newest" tech war. I found a great setup 27" imac on ebay with specs that from apple would cost way to high

23. kuhtang macrumors regular

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you get it for?

I'm considering pulling the trigger on a local deal for one ($1800 for maxed out 2011 27").

24. Gide macrumors newbie

I bought my first iMac today, the spec is the same as macman45.
    A brand new one, and the price $3100 VAT included.

This along with my 3-4months old PC to the old lady is going to be just perfect!

25. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

Under 2400, This imac has ssd