Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaroooon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
Has anyone got any opinions on these?

They seem to be my two favorite cases so far and debating which to buy! :)

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Has anyone got any opinions on these?

They seem to be my two favorite cases so far and debating which to buy! :)

The linear EX slim is a hard plastic bumper that feels like a cheap toys r us toy. It doesn't really fit with the phone's quality level.

The Neo Hybrid EX Slim is the same size and much better, though it doesn't come in black and slate yet.

The Craze Thin Edge is made of a soft touch matte material and is supposed to feel very upscale.

The linear slim EX is for people who want to mix and match ridiculous colors like half purple and half salmon for some reason.

Last edited:

ThunderApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
The linear EX slim is a hard plastic bumper that feels like a cheap toys r us toy. It is junk.

The Neo Hybrid EX Slim is the same size and much better, though it doesn't come in black and slate yet.

The Craze Thin Edge is made of a soft touch matte material and is supposed to feel very upscale.

The linear slim EX is for people who want to mix and match ridiculous colors like half purple and half salmon for some reason.

So everyone is suppose to mix "half purple and half salmon"? I must have missed the part where it says we're forced to mix those two colors together. Not to mention you don't even HAVE to mix and match.

It's funny because there isn't a single person who has gotten their hands on the Linear Ex Slim yet.

OP I'm getting my Linear Ex today or tomorrow and will have my review up. You can wait around then if you want.

They're two different types of bumper. Caze Thin is very thin with minimal drop protection, then again you shouldn't be getting a bumper if you're looking for drop protection. The Caze Thin also has no tactile buttons over the volume and sleep/wake button while the Linear Ex Slim does. This can be a big thing to certain people like myself. Some people prefer it being open while other prefer there be some cover over the buttons. The Linear Ex Slim is plastic with a metallic finish over it. Or you could wait for them to release their other 10 colors. You can mix and match if you wanted too. I believe they are releasing 14 different colors. The Linear Ex also has a slighty bigger lay on table both on the front and back. The Caze Thin is thinner so if minimal bulk is what you're looking for you should really check out the thread people people posting up pictures of it.

It's all on personal decision. There is a thread on the Caze Thin that you should check out.

As far as the Linear Ex goes, ill have a review up today/tomorrow.

Last edited:

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
So everyone is suppose to mix "half purple and half salmon"? I must have missed the part where it says we're forced to mix those two colors together. Not to mention you don't even HAVE to mix and match.

It's funny because there isn't a single person who has gotten their hands on the Linear Ex Slim yet.

OP I'm getting my Linear Ex today or tomorrow and will have my review up. You can wait around then if you want.

My point was simply that the Linear EX/Linear EX Slim has no purpose if you are not going to mix and match colors because the Neo Hybrid/Neo Hybrid Sim is much much better in every way except for the color options.

I purchased the old version of the Linear Ex. It went straight into the trash due to feeling so cheap.

They're two different types of bumper. Caze Thin is very thin with minimal drop protection, then again you shouldn't be getting a bumper if you're looking for drop protection. The Caze Thin also has no tactile buttons over the volume and sleep/wake button while the Linear Ex Slim does. This can be a big thing to certain people like myself. Some people prefer it being open while other prefer there be some cover over the buttons. The Linear Ex Slim is plastic with a metallic finish over it. Or you could wait for them to release their other 10 colors. You can mix and match if you wanted too. I believe they are releasing 14 different colors. The Linear Ex also has a slighty bigger lay on table both on the front and back. The Caze Thin is thinner so if minimal bulk is what you're looking for you should really check out the thread people people posting up pictures of it.

It's all on personal decision. There is a thread on the Caze Thin that you should check out.

As far as the Linear Ex goes, ill have a review up today/tomorrow.

The craze thin edge has excellent drop protection, even though it is so small it is so well designed that it actually protects the phone very well. I dropped it from 5 feet onto concrete multiple times without any issues. The buttons are also perfectly usable by any person and are about as easy to use as "buttons on buttons" if not more so because it is difficult to press buttons on buttons sometimes. The thin edge is so thin it causes no button issues with my largish fingers.

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
I have the Caze Thin Edge right now and plan on buying the Hybrid EX Slim whenever the metal slate version comes out. I think those two are a much closer comparison than the Thin Edge vs Linear EX Slim.

So far though I really like the Thin Edge. The buttons are a bit sunk in but not enough to really effect usability for me. The only thing is because it is so thin I am afraid of breaking it when I take it on or off. After its on though, it looks fantastic and feels great in your hands. The supplied back protector is very crappy though, I have a phantomskins matte back protector on the way to replace it. Did not try the included front protector.

For those of you like me waiting on the metal slate Hybrid Slim, I got an email from SGP regarding availability:

info@spigen.com said:
Thank you for your interest in our products! The Neo Hybrid EX Metal Slim in Slate is currently in production, but we have not received the product from our manufacturers at the moment. We are expecting the product within the next few weeks.

That was from 2 days ago.

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I received a Linear EX Slim today as well as a NeoHybrid EX. My intention was to return which ever one I didn't like. Unfortunately neither of them are compatible with the Apple 30 pin to Lightning adapter cable that I use in my car so it may be that both go back.

Both cases are decent - certainly on par with any other $30 case I've ever seen. Of course they could probably sell them for 1/2 the price if they didn't include all the extras, not to mention the display box which probably cost more than the cases.

Anyhow, the Hybrid case is the bulkier of the two, but of course it provides a bit of extra protection. The Linear EX Slim fits VERY tightly around the edge, it really is an impressive fit - but of course only offers the bare minimum of protection. There are slight gaps where the case snaps together and the power button rattles a bit. I would not say that the Hybrid case is 'much better in every way' but rather that it is a matter of taste.

eron

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Caze Thin Edge for the iPhone 5 is a slight loose fit, and the buttons are less accessible with the bumper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.