CBS is still using Flash. Is there a letter writting campaign?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JakRox, Sep 27, 2010.

1. JakRox macrumors member

I missed the first installment of The Amazing Race last night on CBS. Went to my iPad to watch, but they haven't put the full episodes on there for viewing without Flash.

Has anyone started a letter writing campaign to any of these stations or websites urging them to start converting or offering the option of HTML5 video for all of the current, and many thousands more coming iPad viewers? Another question, do you take the time to comment and let sites and stations know you are waiting on them to do the conversion so we can watch?

I just hate opening my laptop now and having to use it to watch some video on a site that just seems still in the dark ages where video is concerned. :D

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think the millions of us who still use laptops don't mind. ;)

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What is this letter writing you speak of? Is there an app for that? :D

4. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I simply held down the Search key on my Droid Incredible and when the voice input box came up, I said "Amazing Race".

Up came the Google results and I clicked on the "Video" link.

A few seconds later I was watching the latest episode.

Interestingly, as always it warned that the video was "not optimized for mobile", but it actually played better than usual... slightly jerky, but very watchable unlike some CBS shows.

I agree that they should also support as many devices as they can.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

Sweet phone.

6. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

7. lilo777 macrumors 603

You know the e-mail address for such campaign: sjobs@apple.com
    It's easier for Apple to add support for Flash than require millions of web sites to switch to HTML5 overnight.

8. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

But the thing is, CBS has previously announced that their Fall shows would be available for viewing on the iPad. It is sad that you can watch them on the iPhone with the TV.com app but not on the iPad (except in iPhone mode).I wonder what has happened regarding the CBS promise.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The solution is to start using a laptop again. Mobile devices are all about getting users to pay for stuff that used to be free or low cost. By the time the dust has settled, I bet that various subscriptions are going to make the ownership cost of an iPad far more than that of a macbook pro.

10. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Flash destroys battery life, remember?

The way I look at it is either

a) Apple needs to say "ok, we give up, people want and use flash because it is an awesome tool and delivery platform, and it is not our place as hardware/software manufacturer to attempt to strongarm a competitors product out of the marketplace"

or

b)apple needs to come up with some way of recharging the batteries on their products....:confused:

If only there was a way to add more electricity to the battery once it has been depleted from watching terrible FLASH! Maybe, in a better future.....

Meh, I'm just dreaming. Battery recharging technologies are probably decades away yet.

I agree. It also seems to be Apples MO in general. Charge a ridiculous price for the product, then nickel-n-dime for everything you need to make the product functional.

11. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Cool Story Bro. "Slightly" jerky. :rolleyes:

12. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

A+ post here, I had a good chuckle.

13. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Not sure it's related to CBS but I did hear NBC decided it was too time consuming and too expensive to change their whole library over to HTML5. That was a couple months ago.

And the Incredibles is, well Incredible. I love mine.

14. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

I'd rather have the choice to watch it slightly jerky than not at all. Obviously, I can't speak for you but I wouldn't mind my iPad being able to run Flash.

Unfortunately, this just won't happen but luckily there's about to be a slew of tablets on the market... including one from Blackberry of all people.

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah, NBC said that but it's such a BS line of reasoning.

First off, who says they need to convert their whole library? Most of these network shows only show the last 4 or 5 episodes anyway, so it's not like their entire back catalog going back to 1950 has to be done.

Secondly, if they think it's too expensive and time consuming to change over to a newer technology or standard they are going to do what exactly? Broadcast their videos in Flash forever? I can't see them still sticking by that standard 10 years from now, much less 20, 50 or 100. If you want to play ball in the world of tech, you have to adapt to new technologies. That's just the way it is.

Will be interesting to see if their new owner has a new take on things there. Let's hope so, and let's hope CBS comes to their senses as well.

Yes...everytime I want to watch something and can't I let them know.

16. NJBlackBerry macrumors member

So rather than one stubborn company (or the companies dear leader) changing their position on Flash, everyone else should.

Right...

As was posted earlier, lots of alternatives on the way, and ALL of them boast about their ability to run Flash so you can view sites that you want to see.

17. UnseenLlama macrumors 6502a

UnseenLlama

So you actually develop the Flash api? You know for a fact that it's easier to write all the code for the iPhone instead of having a website switch their video container to HTML5? Seems like the latter is easier to me.

18. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Problem is that if you don't give the same choice people will complain that it's not fair, so it's all or nothing.

The issue with doing it all is the cost, you have to serve both versions of the video and store them too as well as to convert everything. Coversion isn't some student sitting at a computer clicking on files. For large companies that involves collaboration with the company that stores the streaming files and the arrangement of their conversion and distribution. There's a huge amount of money and organisation that needs to go into something like this.

We all own iPads/iPhones and feel that this is the most important thing in the world. However, I bet if you could find out the exact stats of who goes to these TV sites using the device you would probably reach the conclusion that it's just currently not worth the investment.

19. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

You guys act like watching a flash video will drain your 10 hour battery in 5 minutes. When I use flash videos on my laptop the battery doesn't drain that much faster. 2 hours drains about 30% for streaming flash videos compared to 2 hours draining about 25% for non flash sites. That isn't a huge difference at all. And it isn't like the battery would drain more just because it had the ability to watch flash videos...and if they implemented it as "selective flash" by not automatically loading everything and giving you the choice it would definitely be nice.

20. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Apple is still refusing to use Flash. Is there a letter writting campaign? ;)

21. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

People seem to think that when the iPad launched, Flash was instantly going to be replaced by HTML 5 for video related purposes. A lot more websites are supporting it but Flash isn't going anywhere for quite some time and HTML 5 has quite a long ways to go developmental wise.

Am I wrong for assuming that most people outside of MacRumors are aware of this? :confused:

22. JakRox thread starter macrumors member

Comment

I wanted to make an additional comment here about my original posting.

I am aware of Flash not being on the iPad, and I'm ok with that. I understand the logic about using resources to run Flash.

I am also aware it takes time to convert OLD libraries of video into the new format. What I was commenting on was the lack of support for NEW content when the iPad has become so popular. You would think most would understand they have an audience of some size accessing their content via iPad. And, by all news accounts, that number is expected to grow substantially over the next few months.

Personally I've only converted some videos on my home laptop and I don't have access to powerful computers or setups, but I can't understand it being such a huge thing to make an additional format of a video for viewers.
    AND...because it's true, Adult sites have embraced this thought already and have started using the new format. (From what I understand. :p)

Just as a side, what really gripes me is a posting on an Apple review or fan site with video in Flash. FAIL :rolleyes:

So... I wasn't complaining about Flash not being on my iPad. I prefer my iPad not running hot and I get about 12 hours life on a battery. I don't want to see that change much. I'm sure my original post wasn't clear, but I just really wanted to know if any of you let the content providers know when you haven't been able to take full advantage of what they offer so they realize we are here.
    Peace.

23. diabolic macrumors 68000

I've written to several. I personally don't encounter too many sites that aren't iPad friendly anymore, but when I do, I let them know.

24. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Next thing you know they will all start making apps with monthly fees to view their content on the iPad.

25. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

Both can be said about Apple.