Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a post at BetaNews.com, CBS programming will be coming soon to iTunes. "CBS Digital Media president Larry Kramer confirmed the news in an interview with financial site MarketWatch. The plans to offer shows on iTunes is part of a larger initiative aimed at attracting new viewers by providing access to the network's programming in a variety of formats."

For now, CBS is looking to sell episodes of "Survivor" on its own for $1.99 per show, and only on a rental type of system where downloaded material would expire 24 hours after ordering. This is different from Apple's pay once-watch forever download model.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
CBS hasn't done much of anything really, this doesn't bother me much

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
its never going to work. when you could buy a show for ever, why would you rent one for 1.99. even if its a different show, i would rather purchase than rent.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
My main reactions:

1. No, rentals should not cost the same as buying to keep. I don't think Apple would permit such a system on iTunes. Subscriptions are a fine option to offer--for video more so than music--but only at a lower price.

2. I would pay $1.99 to AVOID seeing any reality show. I'd even pay monthly, forever. Name your price.

gregarious119

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Reading, PA
Greed Anyone?

OK...CSI and Survivor are great shows, and I'd even love to see Letterman on there, although I don't see it selling really well. But c'mon...does CBS really think their show are SO great that people would rent them for one day? I don't think so.

Now if they were smart, they'd market Dave's Top Ten list as a free download each day just to get people coming to their side of iTMS. Then sell their shows for $1.99 just like everyone else is just happy doing.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I bet CBS will change their tone after a while. The networks are making a killing out of these downloads. CBS probably just doesnt want to canabalize their DVD sales. Hopefully soon they will come to their senses and see thats just stupid.

2 bucks and you can only keep it for 24 hours pffft. :rolleyes:

Xaimous

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2005
kjr39 said:
Is CBS still on the air?

Dude, They're number one right now.

I personally don't like most the shows on CBS but you can't deny that all the CSIs and Survivor are popular. Though I don't think they are are $2 a 24 hour rental period popular. My cable's OnDemand like service isn't even that restrictive and I don't have to wait for a movie to download.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
nagromme said:
2. I would pay $1.99 to AVOID seeing any reality show. I'd even pay monthly, forever. Name your price.

Rock on! My issue is the cost. I would watch tv but I don't have cable, thusly I never watch tv.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
to clear up - CBS is "renting" Survivor on CBS's website for $1.99/episode/24hours, not selling it this way on iTunes. Presumably when their content is loaded to the iTMS, they will follow the same download conventions as the rest of the video offerings already there.

Mac Dummy

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
I want to see WB shows on iTunes, specifically "Charmed" season 8 (this season) which is rumored to be the last. I can't get the WB through Dish Network and TNT that carries re-runs of older seasons does carry the new season 8 episodes and BitTorrent is too risky.:( Heck the WB has some great shows like Smallville and the Gilmore Girls among others. I also heard that UPN and the WB will be merging with CBS and Warner Bros. in the fall of 2006 to form the CW network. :eek: Maybe they'll have re-runs of popular series from both channels on iTunes.:)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It's about time they jump on the "band-wagon."

While we are on the subject of iTMS video, I feel Apple should start offering these videos in DVD quality, and maybe iTunes could reduce the quality as it is putting it on the iPod (to save memory). - Just a thought, I think Apple would sell more.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
EricNau said:
I feel Apple should start offering these videos in DVD quality, and maybe iTunes could reduce the quality as it is putting it on the iPod (to save memory). - Just a thought, I think Apple would sell more.
True, and your right I would buy some if they were at 720p. But bandwidth of that magnitude ain't cheap and they probably have an agreement with the studios to keep it under standard definition let alone DVD so as to not canabalize DVD sales when released.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Mac Dummy said:
I want to see WB shows on iTunes, specifically "Charmed" season 8 (this season) which is rumored to be the last. I can't get the WB through Dish Network and TNT that carries re-runs of older seasons does carry the new season 8 episodes and BitTorrent is too risky.:( Heck the WB has some great shows like Smallville and the Gilmore Girls among others. I also heard that UPN and the WB will be merging with CBS and Warner Bros. in the fall of 2006 to form the CW network. :eek: Maybe they'll have re-runs of popular series from both channels on iTunes.:)

Put on WB Looney Toons and the best of musicians from Letterman and I'd buy some.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Dr. Dastardly said:
True, and your right I would buy some if they were at 720p. But bandwidth of that magnitude ain't cheap and they probably have an agreement with the studios to keep it under standard definition let alone DVD so as to not canabalize DVD sales when released.

The thing is, at that resolution it SHOULD be rentals. And lower the price.

I, for one, wouldn't mind paying 0.99$CAD for a 24-hours rental if I ever missed an episode of Battlestar Galactica.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Dr. Dastardly said:
I don't think Bandwidth is Apple's biggest problem. I think you are right about the studios, Apple probably kept the quality low to convince them it would not affect their other sales.

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
imacdaddy said:
You forgot to mention CBS had a deal with Google Video. They pulled Survivors from GV and started selling on thier own site. I guess they finally realized iTunes is the only way to go!

http://news.com.com/2061-11199_3-6034743.html

I don't htink google video does deals - it is more like an open marketplace where anyone can post videos for whatever price they want and at any time.

mackeeper

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
The only thing I liked on CBS was Raymond, and that's gone now.

I dont know...I never have gone for the whole TV itunes music store thing.

Even though Lost is my most favorite show, and it is THE best show on television, I've always considered a rip off to buy episodes, because it makes more sense to buy the DVD. Its cheaper and you get physical DVDs and special features. (Yes yes I know, you could buy the episode the DAY AFTER IT AIRS!...not a big deal.)

They should put Alias on the itunes music store though. Even though I still wouldn't buy it, (cause I already have it) it would be nice to see on there.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Wow, talk about greed! Who wants to buy an episode of Survivor for $1.99 and have to watch it within 24 hours of the purchase? Why choose this strategy?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
EricNau said:
While we are on the subject of iTMS video, I feel Apple should start offering these videos in DVD quality, and maybe iTunes could reduce the quality as it is putting it on the iPod (to save memory). - Just a thought, I think Apple would sell more.

That's true but as long as many people continue to buy QVGA (320x240) video contents and 128 kbps AAC music (both of which are not losing any grounds), I expect the trend to continue. Perhaps content producers prefer things this way, perhaps as to protect CD and DVD sales.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
p0intblank said:
Wow, talk about greed! Who wants to buy an episode of Survivor for $1.99 and have to watch it within 24 hours of the purchase? Why choose this strategy?
For a show like Survivor it just might work, because the material has a short shelf life, but it's something current that people like to talk about in offices etc.

For years TV viewers eagerly spent 50 cents apiece to vote in silly polls of no consequence, so it's not to hard to imagine something like this finding people willing to pay.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Yvan256 said:
I, for one, wouldn't mind paying 0.99$CAD for a 24-hours rental if I ever missed an episode of Battlestar Galactica.
Count me in. It's killing me that I can't keep up with Galactica until it comes out on Netflix (which it has, but months later than broadcast). But it's the ONLY show I really want (enough to pay for) from cable, and thus it's not worth the massive annual cost of cable. So I don't get cable. $1.99 per episode is too steep for me too: it's great if you missed one episode, but not if you want the whole season.

If I could rent for .99, I wouldn't have to wait for the DVDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.