CBS Sports Offering 'Unprecedented' Super Bowl LIII Access on Mobile, PCs, Tablets, and TVs

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

CBS today announced plans to offer "unprecedented access" to Super Bowl LIII, offering streaming access to the game online at CBSSports.com and the CBS Sports app with no authentication required.

The expanded access comes as part of a new agreement with the NFL that was announced earlier this year. CBS plans to offer streaming coverage from the CBS Sports app and website on connected TV devices, tablets, and mobile phones.

[​IMG]

In prior years, streaming on mobile was limited to Verizon customers due to an NFL deal with Verizon Wireless.
    CBS Sports live broadcast coverage of Super Bowl LIII will be available through the CBS All Access subscription service, priced starting at $5.99 per month with no commercials and $9.99 per month commercial free, with the exception of live TV.

The entire 2018 NFL on CBS schedule will be streamed live on the CBS All Access platforms on mobile phones and tablets, on CBS.com, and on connected devices that include consoles, the Apple TV, and other set top boxes.

CBS All Access subscribers will receive NFL on CBS games that are broadcast in their local market. Along with streaming access rights on mobile devices, NFL on CBS authenticated streaming rights also extend to mobile for cable, satellite, telco, and vMVPD partners.

NFL on CBS games, including the Super Bowl, can be streamed on NFL.com or the NFL app, with Verizon also streaming the games on phones and tablets on a cross-carrier basis on Yahoo Sports, Yahoo, AOL, Tumblr, and Complex.

The 2018-2019 NFL season kicks off on Thursday night.

Article Link: CBS Sports Offering 'Unprecedented' Super Bowl LIII Access on Mobile, PCs, Tablets, and TVs

2. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I used CBS All Access last year to watch my KC Chiefs as well as Star Trek Discovery. I wish both had done better, but the service worked well.

3. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

These two statements seem to contradict each other. "Subscription service" for a monthly cost means there is some kind of account authentication, right? Or is it "no authentication," which means anyone can watch with or without a subscription?

4. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

I think the difference here is live.

5. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

This should’ve been the practice since flash streaming became the standard in the mid naughts. The millions and millions of ad revenue already pay for those not watching through cable/sat! I mean come on. Regardless nothing beats watching sports on a large set.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 4, 2018 ---
    On another note, CBS’s paid subscription service is a RIP-OFF for a free OTA network. No other channel does this. It doesn’t matter if you have the best Spectrum or DirecTV package. They want their monthly fee regardless. I will never pay them!

Edit: Wait the live streaming is only for paid ALL ACCESS? FOH with that! How greedy can some suits be? It’s just a damn game after all.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

For those that might be interested in NFL Game Pass instead, I believe YonderTV allows you to bypass the silly regional blackout restrictions for all games, even on AppleTV. I don't use it for NFL, but it works very well for me to unblock local baseball games on MLB.tv.

7. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

Because it's not like the Superbowl isn't already a giant advertisement show anyways...

8. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

Unlimited commercials sounds like a horrible deal. Isn't it usually "limited" commercials?

9. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I see what you mean, but are you saying that "'unprecedented access' to Super Bowl LIII, offering streaming access to the game online" does not include the live game? What good is the access and streaming the game if it's not live?

I think CBS is being deceptive in one of two ways: either they mean (1) "no cable provider authentication required, but CBS subscription is still required;" or (2) "no authentication required for a time-delayed non-live streaming, but a CBS subscription will be required to stream the live game."

Another interpretation, although unclear, is more favorable to CBS: (3) The superbowl will be free to watch for anyone, but all other NFL games on CBS will require a subscription.

Which of these 3 options is it? Unclear.

10. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

There must be people out there who really like commercials! In all seriousness, I have no idea why my brain substituted no for unlimited there. I've fixed it.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Isn't that pretty much cable tv in a nutshell? "Pay us to watch mostly advertisements that other companies pay us to have you watch!"

12. kycophpd macrumors 6502a

kycophpd

And they will be providing it in 4K.

In 2025

13. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

The specific wording of the press release leads me to believe it's #2, but I agree that it's somewhat unclear here. "CBS Sports will stream Super Bowl LIII across more platforms than ever, delivering unprecedented access to the game coverage. CBS Sports’ streaming coverage of the game will be available non-authenticated online at CBSSports.com and on the CBS Sports app for connected TV devices, tablets and now mobile phones as part of an expanded agreement with the NFL announced earlier this year. CBS Sports’ broadcast coverage of Super Bowl LIII will also be available to stream live via the CBS All Access subscription service."

14. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

I read that as streaming coverage and broadcast coverage are different and offer differing features. Example:
    1. Streaming coverage through CBSSports.com and the app will offer game coverage and stats - probably with CBS Radio play by play. Most likely with a taped delay
    2. CBS All Access live stream will mirror the televised live verstion we're used to seeing... with all the associated pomp and circumstance.

15. Kaibelf, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018

Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Remember when people just used an antenna, the picture was fine with NO buffering, and during commercials one would grab food and hit the restroom?

16. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I’ll be content with watching the Super Bowl via PS Vue (which worked flawlessly last year).

17. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

the cbs sports app has disappeared from the app store

18. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

I am 39 and have never watched a Super Bowl. I also don't plan on it. Am I the only one that despises football?

19. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Not at all. Puppy Bowl is a big thing in millions of households the same day.

20. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

That makes sense. I was just going by the wording in the press release because I have not used the CBSSports app or website and I'm not exactly a sports fan so I don't know the difference between what's in the live broadcast vs. what's going to be in the stream. I'm assuming there's some kind of delay though given the live distinction.

21. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

I wonder what the age demographics are in the market for this.

22. triscuitbiscuit macrumors regular

They need to stream it in 4K HDR. They always advertise the newest TVs around super bowl but you can’t use them to their max!

23. tennisproha, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018

tennisproha macrumors 65816

Meh the NFL is largely irrelevant. When gameplay is just 15 minutes of a 4+ hour game, you have issues with your sport.

Used to watch every weekend. Stopped watching a few years ago. Now just catch highlights here and there. Don’t feel like I missed anything at all.

24. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Also the whole bloodsport aspect of it leaves me with a bad feeling.

25. dontwalkhand macrumors 603

dontwalkhand

Since people can’t pronounce iPhone X properly as iPhone Ten.

This is pronounced Super Bowl Lee!