CCC and Partion question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kevan79, Feb 8, 2011.

1. kevan79 macrumors newbie

I've got a 1TB Seagate Go Flex hard drive that I would like to make primarily my "Mac" backup drive and 'working storage' drive.

I'd like to use CCC with it, but only on a 750 gb partition, with the remaining partition being NTFS, seeing that my MBP is able to read the NTFS as long as the drivers are installed (that came w/ the hard drive).

Will this work for making the drive bootable w/ 2 different partition types if my current "install" died?

Also, please confirm, but I still want to use Time Machine as well (in addition to CCC)?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it will work. When you partition a drive, it's the same as making two or more separate drives. One of my external drives is a 1TB drive that I've partitioned. One partition is my CCC bootable backup. The other partition is used for other files. They can be the same format, or different formats. Yes, you can have a Time Machine partition, as well.

3. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

4. kevan79 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the 320gb hard drive in my uMBP.

Do you recommend I make my CCC partition only as large as my hard drive?

My thinking was 750gb for the HFS+ and 250gb for NTFS?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no need to make the CCC partition larger than your internal drive.

6. jkm macrumors newbie

Hello, I wanted to throw this into the discussion...

CCC has an option to archive deleted items when you use the "incremental" backup feature. That's what I do. I always have a clone of my primary drive and I choose to archive those files that are deleted during the incremental backups. They must be manually pruned from the backup drive from the folder called "_CCC Archives" or they will just continue to grow over time eclipsing the size of your drive. So if you have any desire at all to have anything more than a simple clone, consider a larger drive size. If Time Machine (other) serves that purpose then a same-sized drive should work great!

A relevant thread:

http://help.bombich.com/discussions/questions/1924-how-to-manage-the-_ccc-archives