CCC backup smaller than it should be?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sine-nomine, Jul 15, 2014.

1. sine-nomine macrumors regular

I've been using CCC for years, but somehow I've only just now noticed that Get Info shows all three of my backups are about 780GB, while my backed-up hard drive is about 920GB. In all cases, "Backup Everything" was selected in the drop-down menu. Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but what's causing the discrepancy in these sizes? Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe CCC is ignoring the cache folders, swap files, and other temporary type files/objects.

3. sine-nomine thread starter macrumors regular

That's my hope, but I'm surprised at suck a massive difference in size! (Btw, Time Machine has been disabled for months, so local backups shouldn't still be there, right?)

4. musique macrumors regular

musique

You might ask assistance from Bombich (the company that produces CCC). I’ve found them to respond quickly and to be helpful whenever I’ve had questions. Good luck.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Have you tried booting from one of your CCC backups, and then "taking a look around" to assure yourself that "everything is there" ... ???

6. sine-nomine thread starter macrumors regular

I have. Everything seems to be there, and oddly enough Get Info shows about 920GB used when I boot from a backup drive.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its probably the difference in how OS X computes a gigabyte and how the application does. If you remember, apple changed what constituted a gigabyte a couple of versions ago
    1 GB = 1000000000 bytes vs 1 GiB = 1073741824 bytes

8. sine-nomine thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, that doesn't seem capable of causing a 140GB discrepancy, though. Plus I'm using Get Info in OS X to determine the sizes of both the source and backup volumes.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

They should not, but sometimes they get stuck. Run the command below in Terminal to see if there is anything hanging around from TM local snapshots.

CCC does not copy caches and swap etc., but I can't see that accounting for the large difference you are noticing.

Code:
    sudo du -hs /.MobileBackups

10. MacInMotion macrumors newbie