CCC Backup to External Drive Attached to TM?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mstgkillr, Nov 1, 2015.

1. mstgkillr macrumors regular

I have the following:

iMac (512GB)
    RMBP (1TB)
    Time Capsule (3TB)
    WD My Book External HDD (6TB)

I want to have my main iTunes library on the external HDD so that I can stream to my Apple TV's. I'm not too concerned about losing the iTunes data so I won't need to back it up. I also want to use Carbon Copy Cloner and create bootable clones of the iMac and RMBP and store them on the external HDD. I will use the Time Capsule for incremental backups and redundancy.

I started by partitioning the external HDD, 1.2TB for the RMBP, 700GB for the iMac, and 4.1TB for the iTunes Media, all MAC OS Extended (Journaled) GUID.

I then connected the external HDD to my iMac and ran CCC which created a clone without issue. Then I tried to create a clone of the RMBP, through the network, while the external HDD was still connected to the iMac. I can locate the drive but I get the following error from CCC "We recommend that you back up to a disk image on the destination network volume rather than directly to it. Performance and reliability are considerably better when backing up to a disk image on a network volume rather than backing up directly to the network volume. Choose "New disk image..." from the destination selector to back up to a disk image. Click the "?" button below to learn more."

Then I tried connecting the external HDD to the Time Capsule and got the same error for both the iMac and RMBP. Is it possible to clone my RMBP without having the external HDD physically connected to it. I assumed a networked connection was all that was necessary.

Should I connect the external HDD directly to the iMac or the Time Capsule. Is there any pro or cons to a particular setup?

Any suggestions would be great!

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR