CCC cloned disk not booting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DragonJade, May 27, 2010.

1. DragonJade macrumors 6502

I've formatted my new disk as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), cloned my existing hard disk to it using Carbon Copy Cloner, but it won't boot. What am I missing here?

Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Have you selected it as the boot drive from System Preferences or by holding "Option" on startup?

3. DragonJade thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, tried that, and I've tried swapping out the old drive with the new.

4. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

When you formatted and partitioned the drive did you set the partition map scheme as GUID Partition Table in the options?

5. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Assuming it is Intel, otherwise Apple Partition Map would be required.

6. DragonJade thread starter macrumors 6502

I've checked, and it's GUID.

The new drive is for my MacBook Unibody.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Before cloning with CCC, did you Repair Permissions and Repair the HD (the one you want to clone from)?

If not, then you might try that.

8. DragonJade thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, no, I didn't. I didn't think it'd matter seeing as it was a block-level clone. I'll give it a try now.

9. DragonJade thread starter macrumors 6502

Good news!

I repaired the permissions, checked for errors (nothing to repair), and updated the new drive with CCC - didn't have to format and do a fresh clone - which only took about 20 minutes.

The new drive is in the MacBook and working like a charm. Apart from the spurting sounds coming off it, it's not any noisier than the old drive. Boot time is as fast as 40 seconds, but sometimes it's really slow at 1m 15. Boot time on the old drive was around 1m.

I think that only applies to external hard disks, not to replacement drives.

10. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Glad to hear you got it working.

Sorry, but you didn't specify that it was an internal hard drive.

11. DragonJade thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry. My mistake. :eek:

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Glad to hear you got it to work.

Please consider cloning to alternate external HDs on a weekly or more often basis.

Note, some use incremental backups but I've been burn too many times and prefer complete clones.

13. DragonJade thread starter macrumors 6502

I've though about doing a clone a couple of times a week, but as I've just shown with CCC, doing a straight clone isn't guaranteed to work. I'd have to go though the hassle of fixing permissions, scanning/repairing the hard disk, then make the clone, and then finally check that the clone actually worked each and every time.

14. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

This is what I do...I do a Verify Disk with Disk Utility before I do any updates from Apple. I Repair Disk Permissions with Disk Utility before and after any and all software installs/updates. I clone my internal hard drive to a partition on an external LaCie D2 Firewire hard drive with CCC everyday. Even days on one partition, odd days on the other partition. I only verified the partitions to be bootable after the first cloning. I use the Incremental backup option in CCC for each day's clone. So far any time that I've needed to boot from the external they've worked and I've been using the same drive for years. HTH.

15. DragonJade thread starter macrumors 6502

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I do complete clones using CCC on a weekly basis.

Steps:

1. Connect HD caddy. Install last week's HD clone and then boot to the clone.

2. Open Disk Utilities and run Repair Disk Permissions two times. Then I run Repair Disk two times.

3. Shut down. Remove clone. Replace with new HD for clone.

4. Start up. Turn off networking (I have a Location option called NO CONNECTIONS that I use).

5. Clone to new HD. Go to bed and in the morning continue with the next step.

6. Restart. Hold ALT key down. Select clone to make sure it boots.

7. Unmount external HD and store.

I prefer complete clones vs. incremental clones.

Oh and during the week I have Carbonite running.