CCC setup for snapshot? any recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by qym2k7, Aug 27, 2016.

1. qym2k7 macrumors newbie

Hi, I usually testing new config/apps but if I want to back to previous state how do i configure ccc setting (in Windows I could use macrium reflect, using a boot media I could restore to previous state easily). Right now my setting would be like this.

• 1. Set source disk to internal drive (name for this drive is macOS)
      • 2. Set destination as sparse image with name vanilla.sparseimage
      • 3. Clone
    If i want to revert my system I restored that sparse image to macOS internal drive with disk utility booted from command+R and restart. But I think this setup is not quite right since the internal drive is named with vanilla instead the original name which is macOS, in addition dropbox would asked username and password to relink. Are this setup would be okay for the overall system.
    Another question related to the setup above. I have another external drive for time machine, if the internal drive has changed because of the above setup, are time machine system/files would be corrupted/broken. Thank you

2. chscag macrumors 68000

Not sure I understand what you're trying to do, but CCC can clone the present state of your setup and at the same time the clone can be rendered bootable. That would then allow you to boot from the backup CCC made and clone back to the source and restore your original state. I've never used Macrium with Windows but have done the same thing numerous times with Acronis True Image.

3. qym2k7 thread starter macrumors newbie

your suggestions only restore to the last backup. I want to choose a snapshot before restore.

4. chscag macrumors 68000

I'm not sure CCC can do what you want. By turning on the "SafetyNet" in CCC it will archive older files instead of overwriting them, however, that doesn't sound like what you need. Time Machine keeps versions but is not bootable.

You might want to take a look at Paragon's Hard Disk Manager app which will keep versions and is bootable. It works by making snapshots.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Time Machine can restore old versions. When you go to restore you will get a screen similar to this where you can pick what date/version you want to restore. This is an old screenshot, but you get the idea.

14d Select a Backup.jpg