iPad CCK and charging?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BuddyRich, Jul 15, 2013.

1. BuddyRich macrumors member

Ive been thinking about using my iPad 3 as a streamer and using the CCK to output to an USB DAC (which most likely will need to be self-powered or run through a powered hub, which connects to an amp and speakers.

Everything Ive read says this should be possible and the iPad should output files up to 24/96 if the DAC is a class 1 USB audio device (ie. no drivers). ALAC or AIFF via homesharing and itunes library or iPeng or FLACPlayer for other apps and format support.

Only problem is, there is no way to charge the device that I know of while connected to the CCK. Unless someone else has any better ideas?

2. jokerz126 macrumors regular

jokerz126

this seems to be the key issue holding back the ipad from being a real workstation....i'm testing an audio interface (ie. Focusrite 18i8) which seems to have great features...it connects to the ipad using camera connection kit...but as you have mentioned, there is no way to charge the ipad while you're recording...this issue NEEDS to be resolved...this is a fundamental drawback to using the ipad with any sort of USB2 device...