ccleaner beta for Mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RebeccaL, Jun 3, 2011.

1. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Many of these "cleaner" apps can do more harm than good, and none of them are necessary to keep a Mac running well. I would advise extreme caution if you elect to use one. One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. I certainly wouldn't trust my Mac to a beta version of any of them.

3. RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Yes there are many bogus cleaners. But ccleaner has a long history on the PC. I have been using it for years without problems, I use it to clean Chrome and FF cookies, temp files and startup entries.

On Mac I clean cookies by hand on each browser and for the rest use Onyx. I hope ccleaner gets as good on Mac as it is on Windows. And also it would be nice for Piriform to port their other apps too.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I love CCleaner for Windows. I install it on every machine I work on.
    However, it will be a cold day in Hades before I install any of the useless "cleaner" apps on any of my Macs.

A program to "help" clear my browser cache, temp files, and recent items? Those pretty much take care of themselves when needed in OS X. CCleaner for Windows is primarily useful for clearing the cruft from the registry. I don't have any need for it in OS X. Sorry Piriform, but you're developing a product with very limited usefulness.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That doesn't mean it has the same usefulness on a Mac.
    Three mouse clicks to do that on Safari: Safari > Reset Safari > Reset
    Not all Windows apps have value on Mac OS X. You don't need any maintenance or cleaner apps to keep Mac OS X running well.

6. interrobang macrumors 6502

Yeah, this smells more like a company realizing there's money to be made than realizing there's a problem to be solved.

Your computer's files don't get "dirty" and they don't need to be "cleaned." Most of the time, temp files are created for a reason, and deleting them just makes your computer slower as it re-creates them. This isn't the 1990s when every kilobyte of disk space was precious.

7. RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

All piriform apps are freeware...

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I find that cleaning apps on a Mac are just not needed like they are on Windows. CCleaner is great on Windows (although I prefer Glary Utilities), but on a Mac there is little need. OS X just seems to look after itself.

9. interrobang macrumors 6502

So? They're not a charity; they're an incorporated company that's in business to make profits. And there's nothing wrong with that if people want to give them money.

10. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

No offense but a mac and pc OS have nothing in common. So they are totally unqualified for this kind of product. I will never use such a beta version.

11. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

12. GGJstudios, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

"Cleaner" apps like this are not necessary on Mac OS X. Some do more harm than good.

13. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

I'd have to say that I welcome Piriform bringing CCleaner to the Mac. I use it on Win machines to clear out browser caches, temp files, log files, hotfix uninstalls (before a major service pack), clearing cookies and of course thinning out that pesky registry. It also allows you to disable (not delete) startup items and a wealth of other options and goodies.

What I DO like about it is that it has a whitelist for cookies. I haven't yet found a way to do the same for Firefox on the Mac (without throwing Firefox into a mess or requiring a lot of constant interaction). Deleting ALL cookies is NOT something I prefer to do for a variety of reasons.

On my Mac I regularly clean out Flash settings files, clear Java caches and look in the temp directories for stray stuff. I've been surprised to find old temp files that have never been 'automatically' removed. I also often clean out .dvdcss folders and have found stuffittemp folders from archives that crashed Expander. Yes, the average user really has no business delving into these things, but I've built my preference over years of servicing Apples, Macs and Windows PCs.

Yes, the MacOS does a far better job than Windows at keeping things tidy, and some "cleaner" apps can wipe out stuff that shouldn't be removed. I very rarely delete system caches or kextcaches these days (unless I believe them to be causing a problem), and I don't care much for Application removers for the Mac. Yank always looked good, but I've not yet used it and I wonder if it works with Leopard's newer install packages.

So, if Piriform can get their Mac version of CCleaner to work as well as the PC version, it could be a very neat tool. Here's hoping! :rolleyes:

On a tangent, I am pleased to see companies like Piriform and AVG bothering to develop Mac applications. It tells me that developers are changing from the "It isn't economically feasible" mantra that I was hearing 10 years ago. :)

Will I be trying it out? Not yet... it's in beta and even after a release version is available, I probably won't trust it until it's "matured" ... like cheese... :D