CCleaner?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Afbar1114, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

Does this really work and how do i use it to clean up old files?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

3. AZC, Jul 26, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2012

AZC macrumors newbie

The first responder doesn't seem to have used the app so I'll give you a short review.

CCleaner is an app that is designed to help you clean out old files that tend to build up over time. System caches, browser caches/cookies and other stuff you may not normal monitor.

The app gives you list a list of things it recommends cleaning out and lets you pick and choose which ones you want to delete so you don't have to worry about deleting anything you don't want to.

It also offers a program uninstall assistant that helps to make sure when you uninstall a program nothing gets left behind.

So far I've found it to be a great help keeping your HDD/SDD tidy. Also, it's free!

4. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I also have it installed, while for me it's not as vital as when I am using Windows, it still serves me with basic tasks.

I also recommend Onyx

A good solid (free) app, which does as it states, if I suffer slow down, I often run this and maybe then do a disk repair :)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, I have used it to test it.
    Apparently you didn't read my first post and the supporting link. Clearing out system caches can degrade performance, not improve it, which is one of the reasons you don't need this app. Browser cookies and cache can easily be cleared in the browser.
    In most cases, app removal software, including CCleaner, doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion: