CCTV DVR access via browser - ActiveX?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by B74A, Jul 19, 2010.

1. B74A macrumors member

B74A

I bought a DVR with four video inputs. Opening Safari, Firefox etc, it calls for installing additional plugins, which in this case is ActiveX. This means I cannot log in to see this online from my Mac.

Then I start VMWare, Windows XP service pack 3. Starting IE8, I manage to access and log in to the DVR recorder. But I cannot see any video :mad:

I can hear the sound, both on the live view, and in the recordings, but I have not yet managed to see any video at all. Video shows fine on a monitor using video out from the DVR box.

Is there any way I can get to see this video?

Also, it lets me backup the video files, great! Although, they have .264 file extensions, and I have not yet managed to play them back. I have tried to change .264 to .MOV, .MP4, .AVI, tried to open in VLC, QT etc ... no joy yet.

WHY does it have to be this complicated!!!

2. B74A thread starter macrumors member

B74A

Update: I just tried on my old Dell laptop. Both this laptop, as well as the XP inside my VMWare, are IE8 and all software updated. It works just as it should, on the Dell/XP-SP3, but why not in VMWare/XP-SP3?

Mac is running Little Snitch, and the Windows XP inside VMWare is running the free version of ZoneAlarm. Even if I disable both of these, there is not change, no video shown :(

3. wlh99 macrumors 6502

4. X1Lightning macrumors 6502

X1Lightning

5. B74A thread starter macrumors member

B74A

It does not have a name, actually. I bought it in a street shop in Hong Kong. I think it is sold online under a name called Astak K-8004. Mine does not have VGA output (empty hole in the chassis) and there is not remote control (as in a TV type remote). I don't need either, anyway.

I already tried several codec packs, but I will try this one as well, thanks.

Just tried it, still no joy. I wonder if this is some kind of security setting?

On my Mac, Windows XP SP3 is running through the free Zone Alarm, using the internet provided by the Mac, which in turn is going through Little Snitch "firewall" and the built in Mac firewall.

I wonder if either of these are blocking something. I am able to access the DVR, log in, do all the settings and even hear the sound, just BLACK SCREENS where there should be video, in both LIVE and RECORDINGS ...

6. B74A thread starter macrumors member

B74A

I might have found the answer.

I am so rarely using Windows on my Mac, as I don't really need it, but this DVR took me by surprise. It seems it is so proprietary in using ActiveX and Internet Explorer, that it is the only way to remote control it. Ever since my XP did some updates (lots and lots, actually), I now have IE8. The windows media player wants to validate itself on the internet and fails to do so.

All this reminds me why I felt so good escaping the MS nightmares just over two years ago, when I changed to Mac. A dark reminder of the past, having to use winslows yet again, so I hope that instead, there is some way of seeing this video in Safari, Firefox or any other browser which will run in OS X Snow Leopard ...

Sigh!

7. B74A thread starter macrumors member

B74A

Still not working.

I made it work on the Windows computer (XP SP3), and that still works. I also tried various iPhone apps, but did not manage to connect using any of them.

Any ideas?

8. B74A thread starter macrumors member

B74A

.264 file extension

I still have not resolved this issue.

The DVR outputs files with a .264 extension which are supposed to be H.264 or .MP4. If I rename them to .MP4, I can play them in VLC, but there is not picture. Don't know about the sound, as the video files are without sound.

I can still use IE8 in VMWare to connect and log in to the DVR, and do everything normal. I can choose the playback of previous recordings, but no matter what, the video is just a BLACK SCREEN, no output. No error messages either. I was thinking I need some kind of Flash setting or ... I am clueless now.

WHY is all working except no video display? I tried youtube and other sites with video, and they all play perfectly normal in IE8 under VMWare.

Could I just convert or view the .264 files it saves, into something I can see, but I have not had any luck yet. The only way I can see them is in that proprietary windows activeX in IE8 which comes with this thingy.

9. B74A thread starter macrumors member

B74A

VMWare display driver problem I think

I have now found that it is not web related. The ActiveX and other web components should all be working OK. Apparently it is a VMWare display driver issue, so that for some reason, video produced by this dvrocx.ocx ActiveX module plays, but does not show. No error messages, but black screen.