CCTV footage of pram hit by train released

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by heehee, Oct 16, 2009.

1. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Linky.
    :eek:

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

Nice.

3. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

Letting go of baby on platform = accident waiting to happen.

4. heehee thread starter macrumors 68020

heehee

It's a stupid design. The mom let go of the stroller for a second and it went to the tracks. People in wheel chairs would have to lock their wheels while waiting in the platform.

5. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

7. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

Even knowing the kid survived before I watched that it still gave me washed-out panic feelings. I can't imagine what the mom or other people on the platform must've felt at the time and all the time it took for the crews to get down there and find the baby under the train. gack!

Very fortunate folks and another moment of "There but for fortune..."

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I can't imagine being in the mother's shoes. I honestly would have thought the baby is a goner for sure from watching that video.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Holy cow, that was a gut wrenching video to watch. It is a miracle that baby survived.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

:eek: I figured a pram was a trolly or some other similar municipal vehicle not a baby stroller. I was expecting some major wreck not a baby getting hit.

Luckily the kid is safe though. Maybe they should consider having the platform slope towards the station not the f****** tracks.

11. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i figured a pram was a tram. and expected to see a 2 train collision.

12. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Only because the child is alright, that was almost hilariously rediculous. I just keep picturing them getting down there only to find "What!? There's No baby in this pram!" only to find it hours later in some box. They should strap the designer of that station to something on wheels and let him roll into the tracks. I can't believe they designed it like that

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Too soon?

Yes, it is. Now I have to clean Pepsi off my monitor. Why couldn't you have posted this after I finished my soda?

14. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

Re watching the video though it looks like the mother almost jumps down to pick up the baby, horrifyingly as well, when she reaches out to grab the pram as it first starts to roll, she loses grip and almost slips. if the shoes had gripped there's a good chance she'd have caught the pram.

If that was the uk some HSE twat would be implementing a ban on people wearing slippery shoes rather than thinking, the eegit that designed and the second eegit that built the platform should be locked up.

15. Andy348 macrumors 6502

+1

Jesus, that was heart wrenching. Glad the baby is OK!

16. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Offhand, from looking at the design of the platform, drainage.

17. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

That has been on the news everywhere here in australia, i only just watched the video last night while i was eating dinner on the news.

Wow, that poor mother having to live with that experience for the rest of her like and the by standers too - The train driver is probably beside his / herself. I know i would be. Wow

Glad to see a good outcome.

18. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

This kind of thing could have been avoided if the parents had held down Command, Option, P, and R.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You'd think they'd have drains on the platforms then. Designing the platform to slope towards the train is just massively, dangerously stupid.

This is horrible to watch. If you watch the woman, she wraps her arms around her head when she realizes she can't prevent what's about to happen. I'm glad we can't hear the scream that I'm sure accompanied it. :(

Glad the kid's all right, though. That, my friends, is no small miracle.

20. bartelby macrumors Core

You could also say that of not applying a brake to the pram or even letting go of it and not paying attention.

21. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Hahaha.

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I love the KFC advertisement that I have to watch in order to see the baby hit by a train video. weird.

23. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Sure. Let's see... The possibility of one person among millions forgetting once to apply the brakes versus many professionals involved in the design of these platforms who are paid to think of these low probability, high danger and ultimately inevitable situations and take precautions to avoid them. In other words, yes, you could say that, but if there really was a slope on that platform, the designers still take the cake in the responsibility for the accident. Of course, if this was the attitude of the designers, we know why it happened...

There are usually grooves carved into the edge of the platforms to prevent these kinds of situations. Didn't this one have any? The online news report I saw on CNN said it was the wind that pushed the pram, but the wind did not seem that strong based on the lack of any coats fluttering in that clip.

24. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I don't think she would've got the stroller even if she didn't slip.

And do they even have KFC in Australia? :confused:

25. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You could.

But a 2-3º slope of the platform might not be perceptible to anyone standing on it, yet it would be enough to let anything on wheels roll toward the rails.