Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I've been considering buying an Epson R300 printer and wanted to know if anyone out there has been using one. I'm mainly interested in it's ability to print on CDs and DVDs. Does this feature work well? Is the print quality on these discs comparable to retail movie DVDs?

Other than CDs and DVDs, I'd use it to print the DVD case wraps as well, and maybe an occasional photo.

Anyone like to share their thoughts/opinions on this printer?

I should be able to get it for just over $100 at the local Apple store. I work there and would get 10% off, and I also have a $50 gift card from Christmas ;)

barrettd

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2003
Oklahoma City
I have the R200, which is essentially the same model without the little LCD and card slots on the side. I pretty much only use it to print CDs and DVDs, which it does a great job of, but I have printed photos and been fine with the results. It's not a dye-sub or thermal printer, so don't expect photo lab results, but for the casual user, I can't think of a better way to go. CDs and DVDs are printed on special disks, which have inkjet printable surfaces, so, again, they will not look like they came from a DVD manufacturer, but they are terrific for the everyday casual user. Forget about printing labels anymore for your discs.

The Epson PrintCD software, which is used to print CDs and DVDs (you can also use other apps if you want), is a decent program, not very extensive, but it serves its purpose. If I were a more skilled Illustrator user, I might use that instead, so YMMV.

I bought the 200 for $99, so if you get the 300 for the same price, you'll be very happy with it. If you can get the 200 for less, it will probably work just as well for you, unless you need the card slots and LCD panel.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
thanks for the reply

I would use the printer to print labels on DVDs for the projects I do (weddings, photo montage videos, etc) so I want the labels to look very nice. Until now, my dad (who works in the printing business) has been printing my labels at his office on the nice laser printers. We've been having countless problems with labels jamming in the printers and not coming out correctly (even the labels that are supposed to be compatible with laser printers).

Basically, I'm just sick of printing labels, and I don't want to spend $1,000 on a thermal CD printer. I'll try to print some sample discs at the printer on display at the apple store and see how they look...hopefully this will be a good alternative to the labels.

also... anyone who has the R300: when you put a memory card in the slot on the printer, does that card mount on the computer as well? and is it recognized as a camera in iPhoto that you can import from?

Thanks

DougJrS

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2004
Kansas City
I have the R320. I have it connected to an Airport Express and I have never seen any interaction between the Mac's on the network and the printer's card reader. I think that only the printer has access to the card reader.

I don't know if this will be an issue for you, but check out the printable CD/DVD media that you can get locally. The only printable DVDs that I can get locally are $25 for 25. It was also a brand that I have not herd of before and was warned by the Apple person that they were not Mac friendly.

As for quality it does a good job. I wish that the printable DVD/CDs could have more of a photo type paper label.

BTW - I didn't know that the Epson software to print on CD/DVDs would run on a Mac. The software and manual that I have says that it is a PC only program (which is ok because I keep one of those around, blue screen of death and all) If you found it for Mac I would love a to know where.

Doug

Spizzo

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Pacific NW
I also have the 200, and while it does a pretty good job, they recommend like 12 hours of drying before playing. And if it gets wet, it will smear. I've been able to find the printable cd-r's at staples, for about 50 cents a cd.

barrettd

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2003
Oklahoma City
Spizzo said:
I also have the 200, and while it does a pretty good job, they recommend like 12 hours of drying before playing. And if it gets wet, it will smear. I've been able to find the printable cd-r's at staples, for about 50 cents a cd.

I never have waited that long to run a printed CD and haven't noticed any smearing or other problems.

Also, there are several online retailers that sell the printable CDs and DVDs. I just got 100 Prodisc 8X white inkjet printable DVD-Rs for about $40 from Supermediastore.com. They also carry other brands, but I've had no problems using the Mac and these discs. I've also burned Memorex printable CDs, but I overpaid for those.

barrettd

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2003
Oklahoma City
DougJrS said:
BTW - I didn't know that the Epson software to print on CD/DVDs would run on a Mac. The software and manual that I have says that it is a PC only program (which is ok because I keep one of those around, blue screen of death and all) If you found it for Mac I would love a to know where.

Doug

I believe it was on the same disc as the PC software that came with the printer. Either that, or I downloaded it from Epson. I don't know where else I would have gotten it.

supersize

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2004
I have the r300m (there is the r300 and the r300m the only difference it that the r300m has a small monitor to display the pictures without using the computer) and I like it alot.
I have printed several dvds with it and it does a really good job. I tried the epson software that came with the printer (mac installer is on the cd) and it works ok I ended up making a template for indesign that I use now.
It also does a really good job at printing photos. Just be sure you use photo paper otherwise it bleeds all over. The memory card slot is nice, it does mount on the Mac. I haven't used it for anything yet but i did try a sony memory stick and an xd card and both mounted right away on the desktop. The only problem I would note is the drying time. The first cd I printed got smudged and it was nearly an hour after printing. I have just learned to put them aside for at least 3-4 hours before handling them. Otherwise it is a great printer. and I would highly recomend it.

I hope this helps in your decision.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
supersize said:
The only problem I would note is the drying time. The first cd I printed got smudged and it was nearly an hour after printing. I have just learned to put them aside for at least 3-4 hours before handling them.

Is this the case with everyone else that has used this printer also? I thought I had heard that the CDs dried very quickly. If this is, in fact, how long it takes for the CDs to dry and not smudge, I'm not sure that I would want to bother with it.

supersize

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2004
I don't think the drying time is a major issue. The print quality is very good and for the price you can't beat it. As for the ink smudging. It wasn't like the print was whiping off the cd it just smeared a little on the edge and I still ended up using it and it looks fine. I would still recomend the printer. I haven't seen another printer that can compare to this one in features and quality.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
barrettd said:
I just got 100 Prodisc 8X white inkjet printable DVD-Rs for about $40 from Supermediastore.com.
I actually just bought the same Prodisc DVD-Rs that you did from Meritline.com. I got a 200 pack for $72.
So you're saying that with those discs you havent had to wait long for them to dry?

Also, this brings up another question. The inkjet printable discs I bought are hub printable, meaning that they have a printable surface all the way down the small hole in the disc. does the Epson software allow you to print on the entire surface of these discs too? I think I remember seeing a screenshot of it where the center circle was cut too big for these 22mm-printable discs.

sorry if I just confused everyone :D

supersize said:
I don't think the drying time is a major issue. The print quality is very good and for the price you can't beat it. As for the ink smudging. It wasn't like the print was whiping off the cd it just smeared a little on the edge and I still ended up using it and it looks fine. I would still recomend the printer. I haven't seen another printer that can compare to this one in features and quality.
Thanks again for the feedback. I still wish that they dried faster, just because I usually test the disc and have it ready to go as soon as it's done burning...but I think I'm going to buy the printer anyway. Its mainly for CD/DVD printing for me, but with the additions of good borderless photo printing and a memory card reader, I'd say its a damn good value for just over $100 :)

The whole thing about the discs not being waterproof, even after they dry, is kinda annoying too, but i highly doubt many people are stupid enough to get the discs wet. I can just see my clients calling back and saying "I just got the disc wet and all the ink washed off...I want another one!"

oh well... I'll stop talking now :D

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Having recently been on the sharp end of Epson's appalling customer service in the UK, I cannot recommend their printers, and that's before mentioning their rip-off ink cartridges with chips that end up wasting ink.

I can however recommend the Canon Pixma IP4000, which has built-in CD printing. It also has a duplexer and second paper tray which is very rare for an inkjet. I don't know how much they sell for in the US but it was cheap in the UK.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
drlunanerd said:
Having recently been on the sharp end of Epson's appalling customer service in the UK, I cannot recommend their printers, and that's before mentioning their rip-off ink cartridges with chips that end up wasting ink.

I can however recommend the Canon Pixma IP4000, which has built-in CD printing. It also has a duplexer and second paper tray which is very rare for an inkjet. I don't know how much they sell for in the US but it was cheap in the UK.

I've actually heard good things about Canon's customer support, but I don't know first-hand.
I was mainly looking at the R300 because the local Apple store carries it and I have a $50 gift card there :D
I'll still take a look at the Pixma IP4000 that you mentioned... just to compare.

thanks!

EDIT:
on second look, the apple store carries the Pixma IP4000 as well! now... anyone else want to chime in on which printer is better?
also, I couldnt find any mention on Apple's website that the Canon Pixma suppots direct CD printing... are you sure it has this feature?

EDIT #2:
after some more looking, turns out the US version does not support CD printing. look at this forum: link

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
supersize said:
I ended up making a template for indesign that I use now.
Would you mind sending me the InDesign template you made? I would really like to be able to print easily from InDesign without messing with Epson's software.

Tophersky

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
I too have the R200. I am not having much success printing direct to CD using other software besides the crappy epson software that came with the printer. Could someone with success printing direct to CD from say Quark or InDesign describe your workflow, including print settings and all. I hope this isnt too much to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
R300

Hi, I have the R300 and If your in the U.S. as I see you are the only ones to get are the Epson. I think the Canon can't have the cd/dvd printing due to U.S. copyright but you could get that one by way of import.
Now for the smear of the ink-- Krylon artist clear spray is about $7.00 and you can spray the cds/dvds and it will seal them so the ink won't smear.
Just go to any art store for this and then what I use is an old cd stomper and spray the dvds, let dry, gives a nice clear coat and happy happy. :D
If the Canon was in the U.S. I would have bought it a long time ago so due a search just to make sure but this was in a thread 2-3 mths. ago.
Hey if it is please make a post or e-mail me.
Okay sorry didn't see that link in your post about the U.S. so never mind :eek:

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
I'm having some problems now getting my R200 to print on DVDs. It was working just fine on my G4, but once I set up the printer on a new computer, it refuses to print.

Now, when I try to print on a DVD, the ink and paper lights on the printer blink continuosly, and I get an error message on the computer saying the CD/DVD guide is open. Then I have the options to delete or stop the job. But isnt the CD/DVD guide supposed to be open if i'm printing a CD?? :confused:

I'm doing everything exactly as I did before, when It worked... so I'm pretty sure Its a printer issue and not me screwing it up.

Has anyone else had this problem, or know of a fix?

thanks!

(also, it can still print letter size paper without any problem)

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
cwright
I'm having some problems now getting my R200 to print on DVDs. It was working just fine on my G4, but once I set up the printer on a new computer, it refuses to print.
If its like the R300 then I had to choose the cd/dvd printing on the printer and in the program. Maybe it reset to default settings, I'll check for sure and post in the a.m.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.