CD Burning problem

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jknight8907, Aug 25, 2007.

1. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I'm having a problem burning CDs in iTunes....I put the songs in a playlist, click burn (burning as an audio cd), and my computer (Asus W7J laptop) goes through the motions of burning a cd. CD drive spools up, iTunes shows the progress of each song being burned, then the disc is finalized. If I look at the disc I can see that it has been burned (I can see the color difference), but there's nothing on the disc. My computer can't see anything, my other computer can't, my car won't play it.

What's wrong here?

thanks!

2. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

3. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Nobody wants to help? :(

I noticed another problem this evening: I can insert data-file music CD which is seen by Windows Explorer, but iTunes does not show the CD in the list of Playlists on the left of the window. Help there?

thanks!

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmmm...

1) Audio CD... can you burn anything else on your Asus successfully?

2) Data CD... I think iTunes will only show you the Data CD in the left pane if it was made with iTunes (I think it burns an XML file that iTunes uses for this purpose). So if it was a CD someone made for you without using iTunes, I think you just have to import the tracks the normal way.

5. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I think you may have nailed it as far as the data cd goes....to the best of my knowledge it was not made in iTunes.

As far as the burning, I managed to burn a CD in iTunes a few minutes ago. After setting the burn speed to 6k the cd would burn. So now I just have to figure out why that is and how to get it back up to the normal 24k.

thanks!

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

6k RPM or 6x write speed? To be honest, I have not seen it all that often that a notebook CD burner will burn all that much faster than ~8-10x. 24x would mean a full CD burn in 3 minutes, and I'm not aware that I've ever seen that happen. :eek: Maybe I have low expectations. :D

Typically when you're experiencing a decrease in burn speeds over what you got in the past on the same hardware, it's the media. Either they have warped over time (leading to dynamic instability, leading to poor results at high RPM) or they're just not great media to begin with?

7. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Sorry that was a typo, I meant 6x. I tested the drive with Nero DriveSpeed and actual drive speed output was 21.2x, so I suppose my next test will be to run iTunes at 20x and see what happens.