CD Burning Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by spywriter007, Dec 7, 2014.

1. spywriter007 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I have a question.

I am a Windows PC user and I recently burned a data disk (CD-R) which consisted of two folders containing some MP3 files. I sent it to a friend who owns a MacBook but they can't get it to work.

The CD-R works fine on any other windows PC... so the problem is not with the CD disk itself.

And it's not a hardware issue on the part of my friend's Mac as they can play other CDs just fine... so what's the problem?

Do they need to import the MP3 files into I-tunes or what?

Any assistance you all can provide would be greatly appreciated, as I don't know why they are encountering problems.

Thanks,

Cricket

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes. Assuming he can see the files in the Finder (OS X file manager), just have him drag/drop the files onto iTunes.

3. SusanK macrumors 68000

Hi Cricket,

I don't have an answer but I did have a similar situation recently. An attorney sent me a CD. Preview could not read it. I tried on a few computers. Finally an XP unit was able to show the CD but not read it.

I ended up using the AOL client to read the CD. Remember the AOL discs that were in every mailbox back in the dial up days?

I emailed the file to myself. No joy on my Mac(s). iPad opened the file and I save it in iBooks. Now I can read the file on the Mac.

I'm interested in what the solution is to your issue. Mine is obviously for the attorney to spring for email service that can handle a larger file.

4. spywriter007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

I did some more research and I came across a really old forum post from 2005 where a lady was asking for assistance with her CD burning issue.

Apparently she had burned a CD of photos on her Windows computer but her brother who has a Mac couldn't read the files. Another person replied and said that they had encountered the same problem but that if they burned the CD and "finalized" it (so no additional data could be added to the disk), they were able to get the CD to work just fine in a Mac.

Anyway... unfortunately, I don't know if this finalization thing is the answer or not, as my friend with the Mac lives in Norway and I live in the USA and I don't know any other MacBook users -- other than my brother who lives on the other side of the country. :(

I am going to have to ask my friend next time I see them on Skype what problems they are encountering... if the CD is not playing at all... or they just need to import the files into I-tunes.

Cricket

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think that is more an issue if you are using CD-R/W and did not close the CD. But with a standard burned CD-R like you did, that should be an issue.