Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andy007

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2006
UK
Is it possible to burn a data cd and then add to it later in OSX? In windows this was fairly easy, but every cd a burn with OSX will not let me add to it, instead i get message saying "CD can not be modified".

I have used the built in burning facility in Finder to burn my cd's.

Grakkle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
Earth
Yes, but you need to use Disk Utility (you'll find it in the utilities folder, in applications).

Create a Disk Image, and in the burn options window that comes up when you click the burn icon you can select the 'leave disk appendable' box if your disk supports it. Then you should be able to burn multiple sessions without overwriting the previous data.

Of course, your disk needs to be a CD or DVD RW.

kish

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2006
Trinidad in the Caribbean
Writing multi-session CDs

I have always used Roxio Toast to burn Cds on the Mac, it is quite easy to create a “multi session” disk, just launch Toast select recorder/recorder settings from the menu, click the “advanced” button and click “Write Session” this will leave the disk open to write as many sessions as you like till the disk is full.

Remember to go to the same menu and switch back to “Write Disk” for normal write once disks.

dolphin1

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2006
coinsidentally this was apples tip of the week, http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/burnmulti.html

Why on earth did Mac make this task SO complicated?? I've never owned a PC but from the other poster, it sounds like PC's don't over complicate this option.
I have wasted many CD's when burning items because I too didn't think there was an option to burn more items after the first time.
I'm going to try it and saved the above link to walk me thru it but GEEZE - it seems so complicated!

kish

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2006
Trinidad in the Caribbean
Guys! Just get a copy of “Toast Titanium 7” its’ not costly and you can do many different things with it, I have listed some below.

• Data CD: Mac & PC compatible, DVD Rom, ISO 9660.
• Audio: Audio CD, Enhanced Audio CD, Music DVD, MP3 Disk.
• Video: Video CD, Super Video CD, DVD Video, DivX Disk.
• Copy: CD/DVD copy, Image File, Bin/Cue Files.
Set CDs to open automatically on insertion (just like the pros).
Add an image background to the disk window (again like the pros).

Just to name a few features. But the best feature for me is that you can attach just about any brand of CD or DVD burner to a Mac (internal or external) and Toast will recognize it without installing special drivers, so all those cheap PC burners will work just fine as Plug & Play devices (not Plug and Pray as you have to on PCs).

So get the software and stop complaining about “Mama Apple” she has been very good to us over the years, she has bundled a lot of great software with the Mac, iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, Garage Band, iWork, AppleWorks etc.

Enjoy your Mac and remember just check the help menu (its right there in front of you on the Finder's Menu bar) when you need to know how to do something (no manuals to read, they couldn't have made it easier).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.