Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/20509.html

Microsoft announced to the world its new technology to protect CD & DVD discs from being copied. Great! Now every time I think about buying a new CD I have to check the packaging to see if it is indeed a CD or one of these new things that just look like one. I hope that iTunes can be patched to work with these new discs so that ripping CDs for my personal use does not become more difficult that it should be. I would even record the music through the digital out of a DVD player if I have to.

Copy-Protection might be a telling sign of Microsoft's closeness to the government that would have split it in two just a few years ago. They get away with being a monopoly and in return government agencies get to look at the Windows source code and consumers get copy-protected discs.

If this outcome does not give companies like Apple an incentive to release an OS for generic PCs then nothing will. An OS X for x86 would not be all that it is on Apple hardware, but for PeeCee users who want to go on ripping CDs it might be the only sensible alternative to Windows.

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
It says it all..

The article pretty much says it all. They can't keep people from copying in the analog domain. People are content with listening to music in the mp3 format...an analog copy is just as good if not better. It just isn't as convenient because it'll take longer to copy.

The music industry whines and cries about this so much, but they've been charging $10-18 per CD for the last twenty years. Considering the cost of CD/artwork is only about $1...they make a lot of money on each purchase...and the band may only see 5 to 10 cents for each one sold...

All hail the independent label!

Sol

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
About those links

The same article?!

Just goes to show why we all need more independent media outlets. Everyone is publishing the same stories!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.