Cd Drive!!!!!!argh!"!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by coconut2674, Jun 6, 2008.

1. coconut2674 macrumors newbie

My cd drive recently broke down on me, i don't have the money for a repair, which is prtty expensive at 70euro for justa quote...and 400euro for the repair. i'm stuck using my pc for verything now:( *sob*
    i was wondering what external cd drives would be compatible with a macbook...would any do? the guy in apple said yes, but he didn't sound too sure of himself.
    my budget it about 70euro at the moment, will one work even if it says windows and nothing about mac on the box? please help!!!

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

What's your machine? Some Apple laptops are pretty easy to work on, which would give the option of replacing the internal drive yourself. (G4 powerbooks are a doddle, for instance). It depends on the machine involved.

3. coconut2674 thread starter macrumors newbie

mine is a macbook, bought it almost 2years ago. i rang the shop and they said they had an iomega. but they said it was pc only, but they guy in apple said that wouldn't matter!lol

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

An external drive may or may not work without Mac-specific drivers. Hard to tell, but it's a second-best idea anyhow.

Macbooks are pretty easy to work on, so why not replace the drive yourself? Take a look at the iFixit guide HERE

All you'll need is to source the replacement drive - eBay is often a possibility and there are quite a few companies who can supply replacement parts - including iFixit.

5. coconut2674 thread starter macrumors newbie

heh,i dunno about repairing it myself, that would lead to a whole range of mistakes to make...i'll give the external cd drive a try, if not, i'll follow the instructions on repairing it myself, might work - worth a shot. thanks!