CD Drive Gets Stuck During iTunes Download, iTunes Freezes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by samuraikiss, Jan 1, 2008.

1. samuraikiss macrumors regular

I've been having an odd problem with my DVD/CD drive as of late. I've burned all of my DVD collection onto my computer and imported them into iTunes with no problems, but every CD I try to import into iTunes results in a disaster. On one of the tracks, usually right in the middle of the import, the process will stop. The usual display of time and speed in the window will say something like 30 seconds and 5x and just stop. The drive itself produces the following series of sounds -- a whirring, a high-pitched whine, a grumble, and repeat. iTunes stops responding, and I have to force quit and try to eject the CD. Most times this necessitates turning my computer off and restarting it while pressing the trackpad button to manually eject the CD.

How can I explain this in such detail, you ask? It happened as I was typing this!

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

bummer. Is it just one particular CD that you can't rip, or is it different CDs? Also, have you tried changing some of the preferences in the import settings. Stuff like read CDs with error correction and whatnot. Give that a try.

3. samuraikiss thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried maybe thirty different CDs, and this has happened with every one. I looked under the import settings, and they are: AAC Encoder, High Quality (128 kbps), optimized for MMX/SSE2.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried using the error correction, but the track still got stuck and started making the same noises.