cd drive issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chargeralx26, Apr 9, 2011.

1. chargeralx26 macrumors newbie

hey guys,

2 days ago i got a music cd a wanted to upload it to itunes. i inserted the cd into my 13-in early 2008 macbook and it took it. but after 2 seconds it spit the cd back out. this now happens everytime i put in a cd. is there anything i can do to fix this?

2. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Sounds like your optical drive is fubar.

There's are a few options here. You can take to apple repair and pay to get it replace which can be quite costly. You could use an external USB CD drive but this can be in convenient if you move around a lot with your MacBook. Finally you can pick up a replacement drive fro eBay or another online retailer and do the repair yourself. Its very simple and the whole process should take around 15-30 minutes depending on skill set.

Here is a guide to help you.

3. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Yeah, it is more than likely your Optical Drive has died unfortunately, the SuperDrive in my MacBook has been replaced two times, and now the third drive is beginning to go now. It is having issues burning DVD's and that's usually how it starts, refusing to mount or burn to a certain type of media. Try putting a DVD into the drive and see how it reacts to that.

4. chargeralx26 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much. hopefully a repair doesn't cost much at the apple

5. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Personally I think you would be much better doing the repair yourself or letting a friend do it if you know anyone with technical experience.

Apple will charge for the replacement parrt and the labour which will probably be > 100£/$.