cd drive - quick and simple question for those who know

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mikeyz6, Nov 8, 2011.

1. mikeyz6 macrumors newbie

i know regular sized DVD/CD fit inside the iMAC but how about the ones that are smaller, that you take out of a camcorder?

i have to copy some tape (i coach football) its not my video, but i would like to copy and watch it off my mac

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Don't put the smaller discs in the drive, they will get stuck.

3. mikeyz6 thread starter macrumors newbie

damn it

4. codencis macrumors newbie

Yeah I can swear by that, they do get stuck. I had to use tweezers to get a disc out; force eject doesn't work.

5. EricT43 macrumors regular

I don't think you will be able to use those discs. I would recommend loading them into another computer with a horizontally mounted drive (like a PC or Windows laptop) and make a copy of those discs onto full-sized ones to use on your Mac.

6. Zh2 macrumors member

Hi,

Do NOT under any circumstance put a none standard CD in that drive. You will end up having to pull the Mac apart to retrieve it!!! ( or worse paying some one to do so for you )

As has been suggested - Burn a copy with a machine that has a spindle holder, onto a standard sized disk.

Regards.

Z

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

There are numerous threads from people who have done that and had a very difficult time getting them out. They will NOT be readable period.

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You could buy a cheap external DVD drive for this. One that has a tray. They go for under $50 on Amazon and Newegg. HERE is an example.

9. kditty macrumors newbie

Would an EXT Cd Drive work here? I'm not even sure if they still make those but either that or copy from another computer to a regular sized disc. I know it sucks but you can't really complain because everyone knows slide drives dont take these, car cd players and such.

If you only have a Mac then try to find a cheap usb ext CD-Rom, they can't cost much, if they are even available. I wish they would make up a disc for those to fit in but I doubt that will happen, is it possible for you to plug the cam corder into the Mac and read the disc?