CD drive replaced, new one won't burn CDs

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by seb-opp, Jan 9, 2009.

1. seb-opp macrumors 6502

I have a 1.8 core duo macbook, which previously had a CD-RW drive that stopped reading audio CDs, so I had it replaced under my warranty at John Lewis. It was replaced with a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857 and I got it back yesterday, so I was pretty happy that I can now burn DVDs. Only problem is, I just found out that I can't burn CDs with this new drive!

When I try and burn a disc using iTunes or Burn, it comes up with an error message saying 'The device failed to calibrate the laser power level for this media'

I have tried different discs, nothing works, even when I reinsert them several times.
    Any ideas as to what the problem is?

2. XmcbrideXprideX macrumors newbie

Maybe try burning them at a lower speed? If anything, just get another drive in there.

3. greenday123 macrumors 6502

I recently had my drive replaced also, it was a MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857D, perhaps your drive is defective? Mine had the same issue, wouldn't burn cds or dvds.

I also got that same exact message when trying to burn either cds or dvds

4. seb-opp thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried burning at 2X and 4X speed, that also didnt work.

Im thinking about replacing my HDD with a bigger one soon, maybe If I install Mac OS from the install discs onto the new drive rather than cloning my current HDD onto the new one it would work? does anyone think this would help?

Its a bit annoying how I sent my macbook to be repaired, and it comes back with a different problem

5. seb-opp thread starter macrumors 6502

It burned a cd at 1x speed. Slow, but at least it works.

Anyone know a way to get it to burn faster?

ok, turns out that failed, the disc wont play in any player. Back to square one

6. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Im almost positive the drive is defective. Its the same situation that i had with the same exact drive, just get that drive replaced with a new one.