CD Drive Scratching CD's

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Reid2009, May 14, 2009.

1. Reid2009 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a MBP with the latest OS (the MBP is last the previous model). When I put CD'S in to burn, they come out with a consistent scratch. I double check a cd before the burn, make sure it is scratch free, then burn it and sure enough, it comes out with a scratch. The result is that the cds are not even readable.
    Does anyone know what could cause this, is it fixable, who should I contact for help, has this happened before, etc?
    Thanks so much,
    Reid

2. jmccullough108 macrumors 6502a

jmccullough108

Make an appointment with a genius (http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/). They can try to get the same result with you, and will probably replace it. Hope you have apple care.

3. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

Is the computer still under Apple Care? If so call :apple: and make an appointment to take it in.

4. madog macrumors 65816

madog

My local Apple Store won't even let you talk to someone over the phone initially. In fact, every option they have when you call, redirects you to their website address, or Apple Care number, or something similar. You actually have to press a button... twice... of which they don't tell you, in order to have the phone ring in store. When they answer it seems like a huge inconvenience (but I love doing it because I figured out you had to hit 5....) and I think it's an absolute dick move to make it a "secret".

I think when you hit the button to schedule an appointment it tells you to go online. But then again, if you're in this store and you want to custom-build a computer to buy, they tell you to go home and do it online. Super smart setup they got there........

Human interaction means time wasted, and time is money, people!

5. Reid2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, its been out for some time now.... Can I restart it?
    Thanks for the replies too.
    Reid

6. Reid2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does anyone know why this would happen? Also, is there a hardware warranty that would cover this apart from the typical warranty?
    Thanks,
    Reid
    (when do you press 5 twice, when it says do you want to schedule?)

7. madog macrumors 65816

madog

After they tell you about their store hours, and the recording goes into "Press the following number for blah blah...", I just keep pressing 5 until it starts ringing (which I believe is only required twice from the last time I remember). I hope it's the same setup they use for you, otherwise you can try 0 which for me, just restarts the recording or said it was an invalid number (that usually works on other services, which is maybe why Apple is set to 5). I didn't think ours let people schedule.... maybe I just don't have enough patience to wait that long? :p

Unless there was a Repair Extension Program for faulty drives in those machines your pretty much out of luck out of AppleCare. Also, the REP's typically just last 3 years for those who don't have APP to cover a faulty part.

It's not common, but it's entirely possible for a drive to scratch discs. I'm not exactly sure why, but maybe a misaligned laser that sticking out a little too far or something like that. It happens to anything with an optical drive, XBox's, PS3's, anything.

Ultimately the cheapest method for a "fix" would be to purchase an external burner for around $150 (you're gonna spend that much in labor alone at Apple out of warranty) if you're not the kind of person to perform your own internal replacement. Lacie has some good prices, as well as FireWire enabled externals.

8. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Are you positive that you are inserting/removing the disc perfectly straight? Sometime if you insert the disc at an angle, it could scratch.

9. Reid2009 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I just burned something being extra careful, still scratched. I put a cd in and popped it out and it still got scratched (not even burning anything to it either)..

10. JediMeister macrumors 68040

An AppleCare mail-in repair for an out of warranty Macbook Pro will run about $399. See if you can't haggle down the price a bit at a service provider which you can lookup by zip code here.