cd drive sdd caddy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darksilentsiren, Oct 9, 2017.

1. darksilentsiren macrumors member

darksilentsiren

I think I screwed up the cd drive idk what I’m doing I tried posting a pic it won’t let me

2. dear.leader macrumors newbie

dear.leader

Uh, you're trying to use an SSD caddy in place of the CD drive, right? So it shouldn't matter if you screwed up the CD drive, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

3. darksilentsiren thread starter macrumors member

darksilentsiren

Okay I got it lol. I realized that too after 5 minutes of freak out.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2017 ---
    Can I put the hdd in the caddy? And the ssd where the hdd was? Or does the ssd has to be where the cd drive used to be?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 9, 2017 ---
    Can I put the hdd in the caddy? And the ssd where the hdd was? Or does the ssd has to be where the cd driveused to be? I made sure the OS X runs on ssd storage. Would it matter where it’s located as I mentioned above?

4. darksilentsiren thread starter macrumors member

darksilentsiren

My main question is: does it make a diff in speed ?

5. dear.leader macrumors newbie

dear.leader

If you're installing these drives in the Mid 2009 MBP 17" that's in your sig, there's no difference in speed between the two SATA interfaces. In your case, both the optical drive and hard drive have SATA II interfaces on the logic board.

This is true for (almost) all of the Unibody MacBook Pros.

6. darksilentsiren thread starter macrumors member

darksilentsiren

I thought so. I erased the hdd and ssd to start a new fresh osx I’m running El Capitan with the ssd. And other storage stuff on the 1tb SATA storage. Hdd.

How do i move all my iTunes onto that storage and not clamp up myn500 gb ssd. Like pictures. Music. Etc onto that storage if I just wanna run El Capitan on sdd and maybe some other stuff movies and stuff there

I don’t know if I’m making any sense anymore lol. Hopefully u understand me
    --- Post Merged, Oct 10, 2017 ---
    After installing my SSD of 500GB samsung EVO 850, this is my diskspeed. I have a 2009 17" macbook pro. Is that normal? I also ran xbench, i google online to see others. I'm not sure if mines doing it right or is that good? should i have bought a 1tb ssd?

Attached Files: