CD Drive wont accept a cd!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by antnick12, May 26, 2010.

1. antnick12 macrumors newbie

Hey all

I have a problem with my Macbook Pro 17 inch...whenever i try to insert a CD the drive wont accept it, also when i press the eject key there is no eject emote that appears on my screen!

Please help im getting quite frustrated.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

does it spit the CD back out?

what about DVDs?

i would attempt to use a different brand of CDs :)

3. antnick12 thread starter macrumors newbie

No it doenst even let me insert the CD and ive tried different CDs and DvDs nothing seems to be working any suggestions?

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

how very odd. run disk utility from the OSX install disc that came with the computer, see if any errors come up there.

5. DontMacTheGyver macrumors regular

DontMacTheGyver

First remove the CD from your MBP before putting a new one in...
    And please, never use this brand, I know the're cheap but they ****ed my MB up ugly:
    [​IMG]

6. antnick12 thread starter macrumors newbie

There isnt any CD inside, theres somethign blocking me from putting a CD in. How do i check if somethings wrong on disk utility?

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

are you certain? seems very odd.. disk utility wont be able to tell you if there is something stuck, reboot the machine and hold down Left Click. see if that helps.

8. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

I don't know much, but I would HAVE TO SAY that it may be disconnected. It looks like none of the other repliers understand.

So you are saying it isn't PULLING the CD in? Thats what it sounds like.

To see if it IS connected, go to System Profiler and see if there is a CD Drive connected. If not, your Drive may be broken, or it could just be disconnected inside. Like a cable or something.

9. antnick12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep its not pulling the CD in and the eject key emote isnt showing on my screen...guess it is disconnected any suggestions on how to connect it back? Where does it show on system profiler if its conected or not?

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

To connect it back you'll need to take the case OFF the computer and connect it manually. If its just disconnected, you'll just need ta plug the cable back in. However if its broken, you'll probably have to get a new SuperDrive. They cost about 30 bucks.

Good luck!

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i dont think that is the cause, but its def worth a try :)

12. fluffyx macrumors 6502

Every Apple slot-loading drive has a "barrier" that it can use to prevent folks from inserting a disc when there's already a disc in the drive.

Occasionally on a failed drive (especially drives that fail due to physical damage), the barrier will remain stuck, preventing you from putting a disc in.

It sounds like your drive may have failed in this manner. If the drive won't even let you put a disc in, it's not a software problem :( .

We'd recommend taking the computer to a reasonably priced repair shop that specializes in Macs, as Apple's price for the repair is outrageous if your Mac is out of warranty.