CD Drive won't eject because it is "copying"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kyuugoki, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Kyuugoki macrumors newbie

Alright...I was transferring some materials from a cd to my desktop. As it was moving some files I was in the process of organizing the already transferred files. I moved the file the cd was moving stuff to.

Now normally this shouldn't pose a huge problem. I could move the file back, or simply cancel the copying and restart it. This was not the case. It ignores me.

I have already tried disc utility, terminal functions, attempting to restart/shut down the computer, dragging the disc onto the trash as well as every eject button I could think of - but I always get the 'Can't unmount/ eject/ shutdown/ do anything because the disc is currently in use (even though the drive hasn't been spinning except for a minute or so when you tell it to eject). Your options are canceling whatever you want to do or shutting down whatever the disc is doing and trying again.

But I have no idea how to cancel copying other than clicking the 'x'. It changes colour when I click it, but then proceeds to ignore me. I don't believe this is an issue with the drive itself, because I can copy/ paste/ view the disc still, but without stopping that one function it won't eject.

I am really, really starting to miss my paperclip hole. Currently unplugged the power cord and am waiting for the computer to shut up and shut down. I assume once finder has ceased functioning the copying will finally stop.

Of course posting here is a vain attempt at best at getting a solution that does not involve waiting another 5 hours. Sooooooooo enough of my complaining, does anyone have any other way to cancel a copy in progress or shutdown finder or something?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Kyuugoki thread starter macrumors newbie

You are my hero.

I did not know you could force quit applications from there. Having switched from PCs to Macs, I often forget about the little apple symbol all-together. Thank you very much for the assistance. I really appreciate it :D