Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Id0ntkn0w

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
I got West Wing stuck in my computer. I'm on an Intel Macbook (No Open Firmware >_<)
I've tried:
1. Using a credit card to keep the CD from spinning.
2. Ejecting the CD in every program I can think of.
3. Going into Terminal and entering the eject command.

Whenever I boot up my computer, it takes about 20 minutes before my computer gives up on trying to eject the CD. I've tried pretty much everything. I'm trying to avoid taking this to the Genius Bar if possible. I'm a college kid and as such can't really afford to lose my computer for them to fix it. Anyone have any other suggestions? (i.e. is there a manual eject that anyone wants to suggest? Or anything else?)

EvanM07

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
I have the same problem. But my CD wont mount on my desktop or anything. I even tried using the terminal command to get it to eject and i hear it start making noise like it just took the CD in and started to read it but nothing....

Id0ntkn0w

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Deus, already tried it. Hasn't worked. And, as Evan said, I've got the problem that it's not on my desktop or anything similar. If it were, at least then I'd be able to watch West Wing.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
I have had that problem, but I was able to fix it with holding the mouse button down method. Anyways, I just searched online and found a few alternatives that worked for people. You may want to give them a try.

set up the mac with the stuck cd to start up in target mode (firewire cable and firewire slot on "stuck" mac needed), when the cd appears on the desktop of your "helper" mac simply eject the cd from that mac's desktop..it should spit it right out. Hope that helps.

I have also read that sliding a playing card in there can get the cd to come out, but I wouldn't recommend that (only as a last, last resort)

EDIT: I see you tried a credit card. I guess thats similar to the playing card technique.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I've read about a few people on here that have had success holding the Mac with the drive slot vertical (pointed down) while holding the eject button on boot. Gravity assisted eject, I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.