CD / DVD drive for Mac Mini

wfriedwald

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
I have two external CD / DVD drives. Both still work (more or less) with my older Mac Pro (vintage 2008).

One (standard, not bluRay) will allow me to play (and extract) a standard audio CD. But NOT a DVD!

The other (bluRay) will not mount anything on the Mini, neither a CD nor a DVD.

so my question: can anyone recommend a good external CD / DVD drive that they know will work with the Mac Mini?

w

Bartjes

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018
Paris France
I bought this one (not currently available) :

Super Slim Drive odp95 DVD-Laufwerk, koiiko® Super Drive Slim DVD Laufwerk/Brenner/Rewriter/Brenner DVD-Laufwerk mit externe Slot & USB 3.0 Externes CD-Laufwerk für Apple MacBook Pro, Air iMac, Laptops, PCs, Desktops und Notebooks

For 30 Euros i think. I rarely use it and that's why i didn't want to spent much money on it. But it does the job.

wfriedwald

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
oh thanks! I see that most current DVD/CD drives are those super slim dealies meant to be used with laptops. Since this is for a desktop, I generally prefer a full-sized unit with its own AC power cord.

I'm still transferring / ripping CDs & DVDs, so these drives do get a lot of use from me - need something sturdy and don't necessarily care how slim it might be.

thanks!

w

Bartjes

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2018
Paris France
oh thanks! I see that most current DVD/CD drives are those super slim dealies meant to be used with laptops. Since this is for a desktop, I generally prefer a full-sized unit with its own AC power cord.

I'm still transferring / ripping CDs & DVDs, so these drives do get a lot of use from me - need something sturdy and don't necessarily care how slim it might be.

thanks!

w
Yes, i do own an internal sata DVD - Blu Ray writer for Mac Pro and i considered buying a external enclosure with independant power supply to use it on the Mac Mini but it would have cost me a lot more. This may be worth the investment if you use it alot.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"The other (bluRay) will not mount anything on the Mini, neither a CD nor a DVD."

IMPORTANT QUESTION:
Do you have a "USB Y cable" to use with this?

That's a USB cable that is literally "in the shape of a Y". It has a single USB port on one end, and TWO USB ports on the other.

The end with 2 ports connects to the computer.
The end with 1 port connects to the drive.

It's made like this because some drives need more USB power than a single port can provide.

Last edited:

Erehy Dobon

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2018
I have two functional slimlines that are both quite old. Both require to be plugged into two USB ports to supply adequate power.

The CD-DVD player is ten years old. I don’t even know the brand, it was a cheapo purchased from Amazon or Newegg for maybe $25. The model has long been discontinued but similar drives can be easily found. These are commodity components; if I recall correctly there are only 2-3 manufacturers who make the drive mechanisms.

My Blu-ray player is 8 years old, another cheapie from Amazon. It’s a Pioneer drive mechanism and the drive was never directly marketed in the USA but it has worked fine over these years. I paid no more than $30 for it at the time. Again, this is a cheap commodity component I don’t think the brand really matters.

Both drives feature a DC power connector but did not include the AC adaptor. I’m guessing that the appropriate wall wart can be purchased for $5. If I used these optical drives frequently no doubt I would have picked up an AC adaptor to free up a USB port but since I rarely use optical drives I’m fine using two USB ports for however long I need to use the device.

Partron22

macrumors 68020
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Good Lord! Why such a late start? My 4.5 cubic feet of CD's has been sitting in the basement since 2010, A couple cubic feet of LP's too. You've come close to missing the window!

jerwin

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2015
I have two external CD / DVD drives. Both still work (more or less) with my older Mac Pro (vintage 2008).

One (standard, not bluRay) will allow me to play (and extract) a standard audio CD. But NOT a DVD!

The other (bluRay) will not mount anything on the Mini, neither a CD nor a DVD.

so my question: can anyone recommend a good external CD / DVD drive that they know will work with the Mac Mini?

w
Are you sure that these drives are getting enough power? Do these drives require drivers that have not yet been installed on your mini?