cd dvd drive not present in Finder

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blckolds, Sep 19, 2010.

1. blckolds macrumors newbie

Hi,

This is my first macbook pro, I love this machine however it started giving me problems and I am not an expert by any means. I've searched the net and I couldn't find any answers to my questions so I figured it's time to turn to the experts. Hope you guys can shine some light on the subject cause this is driving me crazy.

I have a macbook pro running a snow leopard with HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N. However it doesn't appear in the finder window or give me an icon on the desktop. I tried doing some of the basic troubleshooting. Make to sure there is a check mark present in the finder preferences window. Disk utility and system profiler both acknowledge the drive as being there however When I put in a DVD, it thinks for 10 seconds and it spits it right back out. And I can not access this drive at all. I'm thinking it might be a problem with the code somewhere but I don't have the slightest idea where to look. I don't know if this is relevant, when I plug in my ipod touch it doesn't recognizes that in the finder window either.

I don't currently have an install disk for the OS. I ordered one and waiting for it to show up. I'm just hoping that it doesn't have to go to that. Any help I can get with this problem would be greatly appreciated it.

Thanks in advance
    T

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

When the ODD (optical disk drive) is empty, there is no icon visible anywhere.
    When you plug in the iPod Touch, it is only visible via iTunes, as Finder is not used to manage anything in regards to the iPod Touch.

Btw, is that a used MBP or why don't you have the grey restore DVDs around you?

3. blckolds thread starter macrumors newbie

No icons present. Ty for the heads up on the ipod. I only put that in cause in the finder preferences window, it says ipod too so thought it might be relative :) It was purchased by another person and I picked it up from him. So I have no cds available for it other than the one I purchased that's on its way.