CD/DVD Drive not reading disks

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ALjosh42286, Mar 6, 2010.

1. ALjosh42286 macrumors newbie

Bought a MacBook about a year and half ago and have had no issues until today. I have been able to burn numerous CD's and DVD's but for some reason today when I tried to burn a CD it keeps spitting the blank CD out. I doesn't seem to recognize any disk. When I put a disk in it makes a quiet noise like it's trying to read it but after a few seconds spits it out. No application seems to recognize any disk either.

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

There goes your DVD burner. It'll need to be replaced. It happens quite a lot these days, Apple really need to start sourcing their Superdrives from reputable companies.

3. ReelDealsChick macrumors newbie

I've been having similar problems - I'll put in a blank CD and it'll be a few seconds acting like it's going to work then it spits it back out. This may be the type of disk? I like the Memorex Cool Colors, but it seems that black disks and blue ones don't work consistently. I never really use the DVD burner, but I use the CD burner frequently and it seems to be very temperamental lately. Sometimes it will start burning and halfway through it says there is an error and it aborts, but if I try again it will usually work - it's just wasting a lot of CDs. Any help or advice is appreciated!

4. maxwwc69 macrumors newbie

I've had very similar issues. My blanks CD's are specifically black or blue Memorex CDs. I put them in my Mac, it acts like it's reading the disc, then just pops it out with no reason. I've been trying to find a solution to it online, but I haven't had any luck. Most people are saying to count my losses and stick with the plain, gray CDs. :-(

5. Bruce.Lee macrumors newbie

Bruce.Lee

Bring it to apple store, see what they can do. It looks like the hardware problem.

6. Frazier151 macrumors newbie

Old school Nintendo

Turn it on its side and Blow into the disk drive. Back and forth for about 10 seconds. Worked for me after HOURS of frustration.

It only worked for my CD though. Still won't do Memorex dvd-R. ?Those discs are a waste of money, it reads everything else now.