CD/DVD drive problems.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xoggyux, Mar 31, 2009.

1. xoggyux macrumors 6502

Hi, I just bought a printer and I could not install the drivers off the CD because the optic drive cant read it (it just spit it) I tried many other cds and it does the same, surprizingly it works just fine for dvd (also burning CDs have problems while DVDs its OK) any suggestion???? :confused: drivers firmware something???

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

did you use audio cd's and mp3 cd's?

3. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

I just did (with a 15years or older fully scratched music cd, the first I have ever owed or seen) and it worked just fine, I even ripped the whole cd into my itunes and now is playing.)
    So my guess is have something to do with software?:confused:
    Is there any firmware upgrade for it (I am using a MacBookPro4,1)
    wit HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N and firmware is AP12 right now

4. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

I had a problem with my iMac not reading CD's after using handbrake and it fixed itself after I did a restart.

5. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

OK I have not restarted my MBP in a week Im going to do so now, however this is not the first time I found this problem, back a couple of months it happend just did not pay attention since I rarely use CD/DVD I did not tried since, I just tried to use it today to install my new printer's driver and notice it again, I would leave it like that if not were because my warranty is running out in 2 or 3 months and I'd rather fix everything that might not be working as it should since I do not know if it I'will buy the applecare extended warranty.

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

well since its reading and writing DVD's i would say its a software as well. if you have an apple store nearby i would take it in to get it looked at. or at least call apple.

as far as the apple care goes i would definitely get the extended coverage. piece of mind on this kind of stuff is essential.

7. xoggyux thread starter macrumors 6502

I am going to try restarting in a while, anyway I was thinking in buying apple care but I will wait until the last moment, also I will only do it if I get a nice price off of ebay or something, I really do no see the point of paying 300+ to protect a 1 year old computer "in case something goes wrong" I mean 300 can fix *most* of the probs can come up, anyway I will probably do since i got that kind of luck....

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

haha yea....luck is a tricky thing to manage:p. i had it on my last computer and it was a waste of money because nothing ever went wrong with it that i needed it for. but i will always buy it on every computer and the equivalent for my TV's.