CD / DVD drive stopped working

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by /dev/toaster, Jan 21, 2009.

1. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I was installing X-Plane 9 on my fairly new Mac Pro when it stopped working. I switched disks and nothing happened, the drive just won't spin up. I have tried a number of different CDs and DVDs and none will spin up. I can verify that by looking at the position of the disk when I put it in and take it out, it never moves.

I have tried the usual reboot and resetting the PRAM. (I did the command option o r and un-plugged with power button for 5 seconds)

I tried calling Apple care 2 times and the message I get is, the call center is closed. That's it, they don't even tell what hours they *ARE* open.

I would really rather not try and lug this to the Apple store, I have a bad back and would need to do it via cab ... which has you can imagine, wouldn't be the best of ideas.

Any ideas on things I can try ? This is really driving me nuts.

2. Dave H macrumors 6502

Dave H

Does the drive show up at all in Apple Menu -> More Info -> Hardware -> Disc Burning?

3. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Yes and next to media it always says Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

4. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I suggest you call again if you don't want to lug the thing. They are fairly heavy as computers go.

Myself, I would pick up another burner for around $30 and stick it in, although that's only because I swap drives almost routinely. Actually I would first try a working drive from another computer first but that's neither here nor there.

5. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Tried calling them when I got home from work, and the call center was closed ... AGAIN. Gah, I _really_ wish they would list their hours.

The CD / DVD drive for the Mac Pro only costs $30 ??

6. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

The original Optiarc in my Mac Pro died about two or three weeks ago, too. I just picked up a Pioneer DVR-116 and replaced it. I'm assuming Apple doesn't use these drives because in the past when I've replaced dead optical drives with Pioneers, System Profiler would report that they are "Apple Shipped/Supported" but, with the DVR-116, it reports "Generic Drive Support". Not a big deal though because everything works.

8. /dev/toaster thread starter macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I finally talked to Apple today and they wanted me to take the machine to an Apple store. After explaining my situation he fully understood and they are shipping me an advanced replacement. They put a hold on my credit card for $275, which is ok because I will swap out the drive and ship it back the same day.

They said the drive will take up to a week and a half to get, so I am going to order a new drive online to be my new secondary. I wanted to get another one anyway, so this is a good excuse. They are far cheaper then I had expected, for some reason I figured Apple would charge like $75 for it LOL.

Thanks very much for the advice and links to where to buy one :D