CD/DVD Stuck due to software

Discussion in 'macOS' started by willybNL, Aug 14, 2007.

1. willybNL macrumors 6502

iTunes just gave me a hard-time when reading a cd...

normally (under any other OS) i would just hit the EJECT, and it would come out... but even after a sleep OS-X won't let me get the CD out.

I already had this a couple of times... why is there no option in OS-X to just 'force eject'. I don't really care that the application will crash then (it mostly already did anyway).

Anybody?

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Have you quit iTunes? Or are you trying to eject it from within iTunes?

3. jdechko macrumors 68040

Restart the machine and hold down the mouse button. It should do a force eject.

4. willybNL thread starter macrumors 6502

When did I buy a Windows machine? :):)

OS-X should have a force-eject if you ask me. Like if i hold the eject button for 10 sec. or so. Who cares if a program crashes if it already eats your machine.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

In reality, the machine ought to have a hardware eject button on it. Unfortunately, Apple chose form over function in this case. While OS X has something to do with it, it's still something that could have been resolved by a simple hardware switch. In any case, I was merely offering a suggestion of how to remove a stuck cd.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I had a related problem when the CD eject button (as well as all the sound volume buttons) stopped functioning on my G5. It wasn't a problem with a disk in the drive, just eject it from the Finder; however if the tray was empty how was I to open it?

There should be a manual eject mechanism. Form over function, as you say jdechko.