CD/DVD won't fit in blackbook drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by skelaw, Oct 4, 2009.

1. skelaw macrumors member

Okay, so I have a black macbook with 120GB HD and 2GB of RAM running 10.5.

My problem is that a little while ago my blackbook dropped about half a foot and I immediately opened it to check if it was okay, as I was scared to death. Until recently everything was working fine...until I decided to put in a DVD. I tried putting it in and it only goes in about 1/3 of the way. Something in the front of the drive is blocking it, which is a problem because I can't push it in all the way.

I have applecare until January, but I'm currently residing in Germany for a year, so shipping it to Apple might be a little bit of a problem.

any remedies you guys can suggest? anything I can do to correct this problem?

I'm including a pic so you can see how far it goes in before it stops;

[​IMG]

thanks for everything!

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Shipping is the least of your worries. All the Applecare in the world won't pay to repair a dropped macbook.

3. skelaw thread starter macrumors member

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I didn't intend to be flippant about your troubles. Just saying that it could be anything in your superdrive that is obstructing the DVD insertion. Needless to say, somebody will have to open it up to see. And since it needs to be opened anyway, you could get a new one and replace it yourself for about $60 if you shop around.

5. skelaw thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I didn't have any idea about you being flippant. It was good advice that Applecare won't help me here.

I tried taking the top part of my keyboard off using an instructional video, but it appeared that he was able to take his off with great ease while,I had immense trouble trying to pull the middle left portion of the keyboard out, and not wanting to break anything I just left it.

Thanks for your help again.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you don't carry it around a lot, you can always buy a USB DVD drive, which would be cheaper than repairing the Mac's drive. This can be a good solution if everything else is working fine.

7. aarcarr macrumors member

I had this happen on my old PowerBook and MacBook

Put the MacBook to sleep by closing the lid. Allow the it several seconds to completely become suspended (HDD stops spinning).

Lift the lid to wake the MacBook, then IMMEDIATELY place a CD/DVD within the drive with about 50% force. The "lock" pin will disengage, and return the drive to normal operation. If there really is nothing in there.