Cd/dvrw USB drive? Will it work with camera connector?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Waggins, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Waggins macrumors newbie

I don't really have access to a decent desktop or laptop with a cd/dvrw disc drive. I specifically want to burn DVDs and store the movies on my iPad for playback. Am I crazy? Will the iPad recognize the drive if I connect through the USB camera connector?

Or do I have to rip them first to a desktop/laptop?

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

that won't work bro....

rip'em first to a desktop, then sync

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

I'd say ignorantly optimistic. You say tomato...

4. Waggins thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess that's the response(s) I was expecting.

Is this because the hardware is simply incompatible? Is it purposely incompatible? Is it because nobody has taken the time to make an app that does this? All of the above?

I'm ok with this limitation. I know the iPad isn't a laptop. But is it something that Apple just doesn't want you to do? Is it because they want to sell you movies through iTunes store? Is it because it would open the iPad up to problems that they'd rather not deal with? Is it just a fundamental lack of communication ability between different types of drives/hardware or different types of files? If I can transfer pictures through a thumb drive through the camera adapter, why are movie files different?

I'm just trying to understand.

5. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I'm sure there is a way around it somehow because i know the ipad has a usb-stack that can identify what is connected. So i guess the software is all there is needed to be to make it work, but there is the problem, who can and will do this, not many i think, i think it'll only work on jailbreaked ipads too as i'm sure it will go against any rule apple has in the app store, like filesharing.. which i'm sure apple doesn't want to happen..

I know you can transfer and watch files through the USB on USB memory stick or SD-card if you have it jailbroken and is using ifile for example.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

The USB port is very low power, so it won't power a drive first off. This is done primarily to preserve battery life.

Someone could write drivers for jail broken devices to get around the software limitation, but not the hardware limitation.

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

8. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

True, you'd most likely need external power to make it work in the end. Like the iphone charger..

That's really cool!