CD in SuperDrive preventing startup! (2008 15" MBP)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maneoke77, Jul 16, 2010.

1. maneoke77 macrumors newbie

The other day I started to experience my first kernal panics in OS X, leading to freezes that forced me to hard reset. I took a variety of precautions afterward to ensure it wouldn't happen again.

But it happened again. Then the next day. Now today, my MBP wouldn't even get passed the Apple logo/gear loading icon before freezing (kernal panic?).

So, after hearing that I should run the "Apple Hardware Test" through a CD supplied with the MBP, I found two discs: 'Install disc 1' and '2'. I asssumed 2 was the one that has the test on it (or is it a different one?).

I put in the CD, and restart (on the frozen staetup screen). Now all tha happens is the CD keep trying to load up or someting, then spinning down, and up, etc.

I tried a few things that don't work, such as holding things such as C, OPTION, Eject key, etc. It seems like the keyboard has no effect. I also read about waiting 10 to 20 minutes and the disc will auto-eject, but it's been 45 minutes now.

Somebody, please help. I thought I had a big enough issue with the startup freezing, but this is just stacked on top of that problem and must be dealt with before tackling that one.

Thanks, my job depends on it.

2. maneoke77 thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem is still not resolved, but experimented with a method. I connected the MBP to a display (HDTV, DVI to HDMI). Something different happened...the Apple startup sound kept going off, probably kept trying to boot. Strange as without the display, it was trying to boot from the disc and kept failing.

So I left the strange happening keep going, and came back 20 minutes later - there it was, the user login screen. Except it seems there was a kernal panic and all the colors were 8-bit like and scrambled. After trying to move the trackpad, the screen then froze. Try t restart an nothing. Back where I started.

Guys, I know my HDD may be seeing its last days, but I am stressing because I NEED to retrieve and transfer important files and data off that drive before it bites the dust.

Any help, anyone please?

3. maneoke77 thread starter macrumors newbie

I cant believ noone has relied yet, did I type too much? Do you assume I need to search first? This is not a common issue it appears and you guys are probably as baffled as I am since things like safe mode wont work.

4. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

Calm down. Not everyone replies straight away + its a sunday/not many peeps login. On startup hold the ALT / option when you hear the Bong. When it lets you choose a HD press ejecr and the dvd pops out.