CD Is Stuck and Trash Wont Empty

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DigiGuy777, Oct 20, 2009.

1. DigiGuy777 macrumors newbie

I realize that there is a Guide on the topic of CD's gettiing stuck but I am a newbie here and I have to have posted 5 times to add to that section.
    I hope I'm not out of bounds by creating this tread but I wanted to offer a possible solution I didn't see posted in that guide.

I have only had a CD get stuck twice on my MAC G5. I have had times when after I got the CD out and the
    tray went back in that I wanted to put a new CD in but the tray wouldn't open.
    I also suffered from the trash can not wanting to empty it's contents.

I did a Google search long time ago looking for an answer this problem
    and there was one fellow that indicated the culprit behind the stuck CD's
    and trash can issue was of all things the ( FINDER ).

I'm not a tech head so I don't know why or how the Finder would cause this issue but I did what this fellow said to do and ( WALLA ) it worked.

1. Got to your Utitlities Folder
    2. Find and Open the Activity Monitor
    3. Look for and click on the ( FINDER )
    4. Click the red stop sign Icon it says Quit Process
    5. A POP Up Window will say ( FORCE QUIT, CANCEL, QUIT )
    6. Choose FORCE QUIT

Don't worry nothing terrible will happen you'll just be brought back to your desktop. I have been told this is like rebooting without actually having to.
    After I did this I could then eject the tray and I was able to empty the trash can. I still have to do this from time to time but at least it worked.

I'm not saying this will be the fix for every situation where the CD gets stuck but through personal experience I know in some cases it does fix it.
    I had an occasion when I was in Photoshop I couldn't save a file so I tried the Activity Monitor trick again. It fixed that too!
    To be very clear, I was on a Power MAC G5 running Tiger so I haven't had the same issues with SL on my MAC PRO Intel yet.

Hope this helps. ;)

2. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

Off topic, but a 2008 iMac i have won't eject a CD i put in because the CD Drive isn't being recognized my Mac OS X. I've tried nearly everything suggested on every website, but nothing works.

back on topic,

what would you do to get the CD out of the drive