CD Keys

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stuff99, Jun 5, 2007.

1. stuff99 macrumors 6502

Hello, I was just wondering why aren't their cd keys on the osx installation discs? Isn't Apple afraid of people sharing the discs?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Since you can only install it on Macs, I guess they figure they've already made their money.

Plus, Mac users are 75.2% more honest than Windows users.

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

a lot of the installation disks can only be installed on certain hardware configurations so that sort of gives Apple some protection from people "sharing"

4. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Care to share where this statistic came from? It seems you are implying that the majority of Windows Users are a bunch of liars. To me it seems there are a very small portion of dishonest users as most people will go to a big box retail store and buy a computer off of the shelf pre-loaded with an OS.

Its the System builder who are more likely to do this. Only because they have to purchase an OS and its cheaper to steal one then to buy it. And no I do not pirate software, but your statement is ridiculous without proof.

Although they do say that 45% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

It is true that mac users tend to be more honest then PC users. Thats not always the case of coarse. Also apple knows product keys are useless in todays age. So that means you would also need activation which makes the process less user friendly. Even product keys make the experience less user friendly. Also activation would be cracked eventually. So really is it worth the time?

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I think the [sarcasm] tag was missing ;)

Besides, it's 92.4, not 75.2, and better looking, not more honest... :p

7. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

But where is your reliable source that says Mac users are more honest then PC users? I know a lot more people who download Mac software then people who download programs for the Windows OS.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

90% of all statistics are made up anyways.

no Apple doesn't use CD Keys, for a few reasons. messes up the user experience, they know it'll be cracked, and OS X really only will run well on a Mac at this point, unless that changes they don't have to worry much imo.

9. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I say, I say, I say - it was a joke son, it was a joke. Lighten up.

10. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

I would like to say also, there seems to be more open source software that I see on the PC side. I think that helps reduce piracy in software, I do not use MS office a lot to consider buying it so I got Neo Office, instead of Maya I got blender and so on just for example.

Now if there where open source Office document templates, now thats talking, still mad MS Office made it MS 07 only to download.