CD labeler for mbp

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jbsmithmac, Sep 11, 2011.

1. jbsmithmac, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011

jbsmithmac macrumors regular

What is the best option for labeling cd's something like lightscribe? I have done the manual sick on labels but they present their own issues.

This would need to be able to produce pro quality cd's but not in mass amounts (small business).

I am guessing an external burner and some software but I am looking for recommendations.

2. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

Canon makes some inkjet printers that will print onto ink-ready disks (Pixma ip6920, etc) and you can get print-ready disks from Newegg for basically the same price as a spindle of regular disks. In fact, I prefer them to garden variety disks because they have NO branding whatsoever on them (so they're more professional, even when blank), and are still very high quality disks (read: few coasters).

I also have played with lightscribe, and I find it to be pretty cool tech. If you don't want to go the printer route, lightscribe would work well if you need to burn the occasional disk for a client. You can get the lightscribe support drivers for OS X here and LaCie makes some good free labeling software for OS X. It supports pretty much any lightscribe burner. I have a Lite-on lightscribe burner in my Mac Pro and am very happy with it. In fact, it works faster than my super drive :)

3. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I tried light scribe but didn't really get on well with it (this was 6 years ago, so obviously things wont be the same now). Printable disks and a decent inkjet printer worked well for me.

4. DW58 macrumors regular

DW58

I have a Epson inkjet printer (Stylus Photo R265) which must be about five or six years old now - this prints inject-ready CD/DVDs to a very high standard using Epson's own Print-CD software.

I'm sure there are current models which will do this job at a very reasonable price.

N.B. I also have a Lightscribe CD/DVD burner and this produces poor results in comparison to inkjet printed disks.

5. ElTee macrumors newbie

If this is for a business, and the budget supports ($ 3500+), consider a Rimage thermal dye-sub printer. Inkjets discs that smudge or bleed when handled with wet hands may be suitable for home use, but not for pros.

I've used the Primera Bravo series of inkjet printers, but am glad we changed to Rimage dye-sub. The quality is worlds apart and our customers are much happier.

At home though, I'm happy using a Lacie lightscribe drive.

6. jbsmithmac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. I may try the inkjet route.