CD or DVD - or + R

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rumfitt, Feb 27, 2008.

1. rumfitt macrumors newbie

Been meaning to ask.

Can anyone explain what the difference is between the '+R' or '-R' for CD's and DVD's?

Thanks

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There is no CD plus R. For CDs, the separator is just a hyphen. For DVDs, the ± denote two different formats. I have no idea of their differences, but there really isn't any these days as all burners/players work with both of them.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I believe that the difference is that the DVD-R format is the original writable format while DVD+R was a revision that introduced some more features/capabilities (don't know what those were off the top of my head).

I wouldn't necessarily pick one format blindly. From what I've heard the DVD-R is more compatible with older DVD players. That may have changed recently though. It depends on what you want to do with the burned disk. If its going to be for archiving or something then it might not matter. I usually just buy the DVD-R to make sure that any movies I burn will work on my DVD player.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

True. I would have said that, but I assumed that the thread starter had a relatively new DVD drive. It is correct that DVD+R won't work in some older ones.

6. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

Actually, after doing a bit more reading on the two formats on this page, I learned that the error correcting and burning process for DVD+R is far superior to DVD-R. So far, I haven't burned any coasters with my DVD-R discs but I think I'll be getting the DVD+R ones from now on for doing my backups. I may even start to use it for movies (if my picky DVD player will take 'em that is)...