cd player not reading cds

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bluerudy, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Bluerudy, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010

Bluerudy macrumors newbie

I have a iBook G4 The cd player all of a sudden is not reading a dvd or a cd when inserted. Never have had a problem with it at all. It tries to read it and then just ejects it. Tried to reinstall a new dvd software for the dvd player but didn't help. Just tried to insert a blank cd to burn jpgs to it and did the same thing, just ejected it. What can be done to rectify the situation. I have to fix it since don't have the $ to buy another one....

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

My MacBook had the same problem. It started with only movie DVDs, but soon software disks stopped working as well. I checked with a couple of Apple techs, and both agreed that the drive was failing. I bought a new computer. :eek:

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

You might try buying an external DVD burner; cheaper than having Apple fix an iBook

4. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

I had this a few months ago. Put disc in, the drive makes a lot of weird noises and then spits it out. I solved it by using a very narrow straw (the kind you get attached to small drinks cartons) to blow air into the drive, giving it a shake to let any debris out. Fixed the problem and the drive has worked fine since. I get the feeling there was some dust or something like this in there.

5. Bluerudy thread starter macrumors newbie

Give it a try

Thanks dude, It was just like you said. yea I knew it was something simple like that, was going to try the blown air thing to the whole thing. Will give it a try and sure it is something like that since this thing is a fine machine. Never had a problem ever...