cd player not reading cds

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bluerudy, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Bluerudy, Dec 25, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010

Bluerudy macrumors newbie

Dec 25, 2010
    I have a iBook G4 The cd player all of a sudden is not reading a dvd or a cd when inserted. Never have had a problem with it at all. It tries to read it and then just ejects it. Tried to reinstall a new dvd software for the dvd player but didn't help. Just tried to insert a blank cd to burn jpgs to it and did the same thing, just ejected it. What can be done to rectify the situation. I have to fix it since don't have the $ to buy another one....
  2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    My MacBook had the same problem. It started with only movie DVDs, but soon software disks stopped working as well. I checked with a couple of Apple techs, and both agreed that the drive was failing. I bought a new computer. :eek:
  3. old-wiz macrumors G3

Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    You might try buying an external DVD burner; cheaper than having Apple fix an iBook
  4. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

Oct 4, 2008
    I had this a few months ago. Put disc in, the drive makes a lot of weird noises and then spits it out. I solved it by using a very narrow straw (the kind you get attached to small drinks cartons) to blow air into the drive, giving it a shake to let any debris out. Fixed the problem and the drive has worked fine since. I get the feeling there was some dust or something like this in there.
  5. Bluerudy thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 25, 2010
    Give it a try

Thanks dude, It was just like you said. yea I knew it was something simple like that, was going to try the blown air thing to the whole thing. Will give it a try and sure it is something like that since this thing is a fine machine. Never had a problem ever...