CD player not reading cd's

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kapishorange, Jan 30, 2010.

1. kapishorange macrumors newbie

I have had my Mac OSX(10.5.7) for 3 years and have always played and burned cd's with no problems.However this morning all of a sudden it's not reading any cd's I put in.They just pop out after a few seconds.Blank cd's and cd's with stuff on them.It doesn't make any sound at all the cd just pops out after a few seconds.What could the problem be and how do I fix it?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Did you try to put a mini CD in your slot-loading drive? If you did, it's probably stuck in there. Slot loading drives will NOT accept the mini CD format.

3. 11800506 macrumors 65816

I had a similar problem with my MBP except that it would accept certain disks but not others. I ended taking it to the Genius Bar and they had to replace it since they determined it was broken. So your optical drive may be broken, but since you're likely not under warranty anymore it will probably cost a fair amount to fix it. Regardless, I would see if you can take it to the Apple store or call Applecare if it doesn't resolve itself and see what they say.

4. kapishorange thread starter macrumors newbie

No.No mini discs.I just put a blank cd in to burn something and halfway through it just stopped and popped out.

5. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Also, Macs can be picky with the type of disks they will accept for burning things on. I've found that sometimes Memorex disks for whatever reason sometimes don't work. But since you said it's all disks, that's why I figured your drive may be broken.

6. kapishorange thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I was going to get the problem checked out tomorrow but I figured I'd give it one more try and it worked!I've burned 4 cd's and so far everything's fine.For now at least.